Problems installing root

Hi i am very new to using Unix (Cygwin version 5.15/08 running on windows xp) i need to use Root in my final year project at university but i am having huge problems installing it. i have managed to set ROOTSYS and PATH, so that when i type “root” root seems to open but when i type “TBrwser tb;” to bring up the browser i get error messages:

“root [0] TBrowser tb;
dlopen error: Permission denied
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /cygdrive/c/root/lib/libMatrix.dll
Error in TCint::AutoLoad: failure loading dependent library libHist.dll for class TPad
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /cygdrive/c/root/lib/libRIO.dll
Error in TCint::AutoLoad: failure loading dependent library libGraf.dll for class TPad
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /cygdrive/c/root/lib/libHist.dll
Error in TCint::AutoLoad: failure loading library libGpad.dll for class TPad
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /cygdrive/c/root/lib/libGraf.dll
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /cygdrive/c/root/lib/libGX11.dll
Error in TCint::AutoLoad: failure loading library libGX11.dll for class TGX11
Error in TPluginHandler::SetupCallEnv: class TGX11 not found in plugin GX11
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /cygdrive/c/root/lib/libGpad.dll
Error in TCint::AutoLoad: failure loading dependent library libGpad.dll for class TRootGuiFactory
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /cygdrive/c/root/lib/libGui.dll
Error in TCint::AutoLoad: failure loading library libGui.dll for class TRootGuiFactory
Error in TPluginHandler::SetupCallEnv: class TRootGuiFactory not found in plugin Gui”

However if i cd to the directory where root/bin is and open root from there (again by just typing “root”) i can open the browser but it does not function properly, tpads that should contain graphs of some kind from any of the tutorials or simple lines of code appear as just orange boxes. the text and the layout of the tutorials appears to be fine. i think the problem may be something to do with the library for root, but i am a little over my head with it at the moment. if anyone could give me an idea of how to rectify this problem i would be very very grateful.
thanks in advance
Ollie

Hi,

could you send the output of

echo $ROOTSYS ls -l $ROOTSYS/lib ls -l $ROOTSYS/bin which root cygcheck $ROOTSYS/bin/root gcc --version
Did you build ROOT yourself? If so, could you post $ROOTSYS/config.status?

Cheers, Axel.

Hi Axel. very sorry for the long delay. i had to pack my pc away for trasport for a time. i have managed to get around the problem by just installing the previouse version of root (5.14) this works fine for what i need to use it for. not too sure why the newest version would not install properly. but thanks very much for your support in the matter.