Problems installing root on MacBook with Windows on it

Hi All,

I am trying to setup ROOT on my new MacBook running under windows.
While the installation with this new windows root 5 installer is without troubles I cannot start it.

It says:

This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.

I read on the root install page that this is a known problem for win 95 and 98 but I have Windows XP Prof installed.

I just wonder if I did something wrong and if it should run out of the box. If not please let me know where to I should copy this missing library.

I downloaded the first binary package on the root downloader page where it says:
Windows Installer Packages
Regular Windows installer package also setting up the required environment variables. With uninstall via “Control Panel” / “Add or Remove Programs”. Simply download and start, or open directly

according to that I also do not need things like cygwin. Am I right?

Thanks for your help!
Andi

Hi Andi,

It is likely that you have VC++8 on your machine. In thsi case
you also have to download the missing DLL. This is now indicated
on our download page.

Rene

Dear Rene,

thanks for your quick answer. On my machine I only have Win XP Prof installed nothing like VC++8 (which is MS Visual C++?) as far as I know.

That brings me to a very fundamental quick question:

(sorry if it is stupid but I am mostly using root at cern under SLC3 and there everything is fine)
On my windows machine, if I do not have something like VC++8 on it is it at all possible to compile any root stuff? What do I need to have installed to be able to run it and also to compile on it (not necessarily outside root but at least in cint with .L myscript.C++).

Thanks!
Andi

Dear Rene,

thanks, copying the library indeed helps and I can run root now.

But please let me stress that in contrary to what the root web page says:

1. I have a recent windows installation (Win XP Prof) and not Win 95 or 98
  2. I do not have VC++8 on the machine, if VC++8 means one of these MS Visual Studio packages (Cern IT refuses to give it to me because I refuse to install the NICE cern windows version on my cern laptop :slight_smile:)

and I still needed to copy the library to my machine. I guess i misunderstand the page but how I read it it is not correct for me.

Anyway, it works now!
Thanks
Andi

Andi,

As indicated in my previous posting, I modified the Download page to mention that this dll must be downloaded if you run anything else than VC++7.1.

There have been a few postings about the use of a free version of VC++ under Windows. I am sure that Axel or Bertrand will add more info in this thread.

Rene

Please take a look there :

http://root.cern.ch/root/Procedure/Procedure%20to%20install%20the%20free%20Microsoft%20Visual%20C.htm

And there :

http://root.cern.ch/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1770

It may help :wink:

Cheers,
Bertrand.

[quote=“wildauer”]Hi All,

I am trying to setup ROOT on my new MacBook running under windows.
While the installation with this new windows root 5 installer is without troubles I cannot start it.

It says:

This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.

[/quote] Try one from root.bnl.gov . It should install everything ROOT needs properly, Let me know how it works.

Hi Andi,

Valeri’s post is probably not relevant for you. Bertrand gave the right hints.

Cheers, Axel.