Problems installing ROOT in FC4 + gcc 4.0.2

Hi,
I’m trying to install ROOT 5.10.00 in a Fedora Core 4 system with GCC 4.0.2 and after a successful “configure” it fails the “make” step with:

cint/src/gcc3strm.o(.text+0x116f7):gcc3strm.cxx: undefined reference to std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage' cint/src/gcc3strm.o(.text+0x11707):gcc3strm.cxx: undefined reference to__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
cint/src/gcc3strm.o(.text+0x118a5):gcc3strm.cxx: undefined reference to std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage' cint/src/gcc3strm.o(.text+0x118b5):gcc3strm.cxx: undefined reference to__gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add(int volatile*, int)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [cint/main/cint_tmp] Error 1

Any idea about the problem?
Thanks

Maite

Hi,

I do not think we ported CINT to gcc 4.0.2 :frowning:
Is is an option for you to upgrade your compiler to a newer version of gcc?

Cheers,
Philippe

I do not understand this problem. ROOT and CINT compile and run OK
under gcc4.02 and gcc4.1. Use version 5.11/06

Rene

Hi,

thanks for your answers.
I upgraded to gcc-4.0.2 since this is the “official” Fedora 4 update for GCC, but I could try installing a gcc-4.0.3 version.
The problem with the production version is that we’re using ROOT for a wider software project and we need to have installed a ‘stable’ version (as stable as possible). I’m not very familiar with ROOT yet so I’m not sure if “development” version really means “not as stable as production”. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks again

Maite

To see the current “recommended version” see;
root.cern.ch/root/Availability.html

Rene

Ok, thanks a lot.
I’ve installed version v5.11.06 without any problem.

Cheers

Maite