Problems Compiling ROOT 6.22.02 on mac OS Catalina 10.15.6

ROOT Version: 6.22.02
Platform: mac OS Catalina 10.15.6

I’m trying to compile root 6.22.02 on my mac Catalina 10.15.6 and I get the following errors:

[  0%] Performing build step for 'XROOTD'
CMake Error at /usr/local/root-6.22.02-build/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build-Release.cmake:49 (message):
  Command failed: 2

'/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make'

See also

/usr/local/root-6.22.02-build/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build-*.log

make[2]: *** [XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/XROOTD.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can someone help please?
Ciao,
Serena

Hi Serena,
and welcome to the ROOT forum!

As per the compilation error, can you also copy-paste the contents of /usr/local/root-6.22.02-build/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build-*.log please?

Note that unless you have a special reason for compiling ROOT from source, you can install ROOT 6.22.02 on Mac 10.15 without compiling following one of the installation methods mentioned at https://root.cern/install .

Also see this post about embedding code in forum posts.

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi Enrico,
thanks for your answer.
Here is the content of the log:

[I] No git repository info found. Trying to interpret VERSION_INFO
[I] src/XrdVersion.hh successfully generated
ld: cannot link directly with dylib/framework, your binary is not an allowed client of /usr/lib/libcrypto.dylib for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[5]: *** [src/libXrdHttpUtils.1.0.0.dylib] Error 1
make[4]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/XrdHttpUtils.dir/all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
...skipping...
[  0%] Built target XrdVersion.hh
[ 18%] Built target XrdUtils
[ 21%] Built target XrdCrypto
[ 37%] Built target XrdServer
[ 37%] Linking CXX shared library libXrdHttpUtils.dylib
~

I have opened https://github.com/xrootd/xrootd/issues/1302

1 Like

Thanks Axel!
I have successfully installed ROOT 6.22.02 with the binary distribution ( root_v6.22.02.macosx64-10.15-clang110.pkg
as suggested by Enrico.
Though I would like to know, for my personal knoledge, what went wrong with the other installation channel (the source distribution) and how to work it out. Please let me know if you figure it out.
Cheers,
Serena

Hi Serena,

Good to hear you got your ROOT set up! I, too, would like to understand what went wrong! I will ping the Xrootd people in a couple of days (and so can you); we can follow their reaction at the github link above.

Cheers, Axel.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.