Problems about simulating α in Garfield++

I want to simulate :

1. Rn222 decays to produce α particles, and α particles ionize to produce electrons ;
  2. Then simulate electron drift, avalanche, etc.

I plan to use Geant4 to simulate the process 1. When the electron energy is lower than a certain value, the electron is transferred to Garfield + + with delta electron to simulate the avalanche. I am not sure whether this idea is feasible.

I 've seen the example / Geant4GarfieldInterface in detail, but it 's still uncertain whether we can use Geant4 's PAIPhot to simulate the ionization of 6Mev alpha particles and Garfield + + to simulate the avalanche of electrons.

In addition, I see that TrackSrim can also simulate the ionization of alpha particles. In this problem, what is the difference between using TrackSrim and Geant4 to simulate the ionization of alpha particles ?

Hi,
I don’t know enough about Geant4 to give an educated answer but I don’t think the PAIPhot model is suitable for simulating the ionisation of alpha particles that are stopped in the gas.
The class G4ionIonisation might be a better choice:
https://geant4-userdoc.web.cern.ch/UsersGuides/PhysicsReferenceManual/html/electromagnetic/charged_hadron_incident/hion.html

If I use G4ionIonisation or other suitable ionization model to simulate the primary ionization of α in Geant4, the electrons produced by ionization will be killed in Geant4 after reaching a certain energy threshold ( the threshold taken over by Garfield + + ). and recreated as delta electrons in Garfield + + using the Transport Delta Electric function of TrackHeed.Then simulate the electron drift and avalanche in the gas. As shown in the figure
However, as far as I know, TrackHeed is mainly used to simulate relativistic charged particles. If TransportDeltaElectron ( ) is used to take over electrons from Geant4 :
1.What are the requirements for the energy of electrons ? Can the electron energy be 1keV ?
2.I do not know the role of TransportDeltaElectron ( ), in this example, what is the difference between using TransportDeltaElectron ( ) and using NewTrack ( ) to create an electron ?
3.How to verify the feasibility of interaction between Geant4 and Garfield + + ? Can you provide some ideas ?

With TransportDeltaElectron, there is no lower limit to the electron energy. Unlike NewTrack which uses the differential energy loss cross-section calculated from the PAI model, TransportDeltaElectron uses a phenomenological algorithm designed to reproduce the average number of “conduction” electron-ion pairs (given by the W value of the gas) and its fluctuations (based on the Fano factor).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.