Problem with root file

Hello,

I’m pretty new to the ROOT and still more of BFU (or luser) of ROOT :slight_smile: hoping some day to better understand this programing language.

I was going through some ROOT files and I got this error message

Warning in <TFile::Init>: file MY_FILE.root probably not closed, trying to recover
Info in <TFile::Recover>: MY_FILE.root, recovered key AttributeListLayout:Schema at address 336
Warning in <TFile::Init>: successfully recovered 1 keys

Of course there were no TTree in this file as they should be. Accept this file I had other similar files containing other data, but all having same TTrees (by this I mean that TTrees in different root files had same name so I could apply Tchain function, don’t know if I explained this well).

I was trying to google this problem, by all I could find was some old posts on this forum, that probably were exchanged between developers. http://root.cern.ch/root/roottalk/roottalk02/0463.html If I understand those posts right these errors appear when during production of .root files these files weren’t properly closed or something like that.

What does this error message mean and how should I solve it? Is this problem caused by me or by the person that produced my data files?

I will be very thankful for your answer or link to site where this problem is explained or solved.

[quote]What does this error message mean and how should I solve it? Is this problem caused by me or by the person that produced my data files?
[/quote]It is most likely that the problem is cause by either the code that produced the data file (was missing a close and/or the process crashes) or by file corruption (i.e. badly copied)

Cheers,
Philippe.