Problem with compile ROOT 5.34-20 on OS X 10.9

I’ve installed the last command line tool downloading from the apple developer website and Xcode 5.1

I configure the root with ./configure --enable-roofit
and then the following message comes out after “make”

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
"___addtf3", referenced from:
_write_float in libgfortran.a(write.o)
__gfortran_random_r16 in libgfortran.a(random.o)
__gfortran_arandom_r16 in libgfortran.a(random.o)
"___divtf3", referenced from:
"___eqtf2", referenced from:
"___floatunditf", referenced from:
"___getf2", referenced from:
"___gttf2", referenced from:
"___lttf2", referenced from:
"___multf3", referenced from:
"___subtf3", referenced from:
"___trunctfdf2", referenced from:
"___unordtf2", referenced from:
"_quadmath_snprintf", referenced from:
"_strtoflt128", referenced from:
__gfortrani_convert_real in libgfortran.a(read.o)
__gfortrani_convert_infnan in libgfortran.a(read.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make: *** [lib/libminicern.so] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…

It seems that it relates to the fortran compiler, But I don’t know why. I did’t install any fortran compilers myself. Does anybody know how to fix it?

It seems that I’ve never successfully compiled root on my Macbook = =

I just finished installing (or trying to) 5.34-20 on my MacBook Pro/Mac Pro. I thought it was working but am seeing some problems running scripts that worked previously on linux due to segmentation violations (see recent post if you have any thoughts).

Anyway, while I didn’t have the problem you are seeing while installing root, I was getting a similar problem when I tried to install the libraries I used. After running make with verbose on, I found that the linking command being run did not include one of the libraries required (specifically libSpectrum.so in my case). I’m not sure why this was happening because I have compiled the libraries several times on linux without any issue. To solve this, I simply copied the command that make failed on, added the missing path to the end of it and executed it. I then navigated back to the make head folder, ran make, and let it finish without further issues.

I guess my point is, maybe there is a library that is supposed to be included in your linking command that is not appearing for whatever reason. If that’s the case, and you can figure out what the library is, then maybe you can include it manually. It’s going to be the library that contains the functions being referenced (addtf3, gfortran_random_r16, etc.)

Good luck

[quote=“kpolack”]I just finished installing (or trying to) 5.34-20 on my MacBook Pro/Mac Pro. I thought it was working but am seeing some problems running scripts that worked previously on linux due to segmentation violations (see recent post if you have any thoughts).

Anyway, while I didn’t have the problem you are seeing while installing root, I was getting a similar problem when I tried to install the libraries I used. After running make with verbose on, I found that the linking command being run did not include one of the libraries required (specifically libSpectrum.so in my case). I’m not sure why this was happening because I have compiled the libraries several times on linux without any issue. To solve this, I simply copied the command that make failed on, added the missing path to the end of it and executed it. I then navigated back to the make head folder, ran make, and let it finish without further issues.

I guess my point is, maybe there is a library that is supposed to be included in your linking command that is not appearing for whatever reason. If that’s the case, and you can figure out what the library is, then maybe you can include it manually. It’s going to be the library that contains the functions being referenced (addtf3, gfortran_random_r16, etc.)

Good luck[/quote]

Thanks very much!

Indeed, the library libgfortran.dylib is missing, but it has libgfortran.3.dylib which is ignored. So I make a link from libgfortran.3.dylib to libgfortran.dylib. It works! Thanks very much