Problem with compilation of root 3.04.02 from source

hi!

i’m trying to compile ROOT from source in a Red Hat 9 Linux PC, with:

gcc --> 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)
g++ --> 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)
and glibc-2.3.2-11.9

i allways get this error message while compiling with g++ :

g++ -O -pipe -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -D_REENTRANT -DR__SHADOWPW -DR__KRB5 -I/usr/kerberos/include -o rootd/src/rootd.o -c rootd/src/rootd.cxx
rootd/src/rootd.cxx: In function int setresgid(unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int)': rootd/src/rootd.cxx:347:int setresgid(unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned
int)’ was declared extern' and laterstatic’
/usr/include/unistd.h:658: previous declaration of int setresgid(unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int)' rootd/src/rootd.cxx: In functionint setresuid(unsigned int, unsigned int,
unsigned int)’:
rootd/src/rootd.cxx:354: int setresuid(unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int)' was declaredextern’ and later static' /usr/include/unistd.h:654: previous declaration ofint setresuid(unsigned int,
unsigned int, unsigned int)'
make: *** [rootd/src/rootd.o] Error 1

i followed the installation instructions (./configure linux ; gmake )

thanks for all help :unamused: :open_mouth:

Take a more recent version like 3.10/01.
We are planning to come with 3.10/02 next week

Rene

i would do that, but the problem is that i need that specific version to run another software… is there some workaround to make possible compilation of 3.04.02? (i already tried to use binaries, but rootcint gave me a core dump)

thanks ab bunch for the quickk reply :laughing:

If you want to stay with 3.04, you have to apply the changes implemented in 3.10
fixing problems on RH9. Take the classes
that do not compile and see the fixes
in the corresponding classes in 3.10

Rene