Problem with 32 bit Ubuntu 14 install

Hi ROOT team,
I’m a 15+ year ROOT user. Every couple years I usually have to do an install on a new machine and it is usually pretty smooth, but I’m having trouble with a new 32 bit Ubuntu install.
I followed the instructions on:

I installed all optional and required packages, and ran and I think everything went OK. However, when I try to compile (using a Makefile and code that works on my old machine), I get the output below. It says the libraries are incompatible. I’m guessing it’s a 64bit vs 32 bit conflict.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

kwd1@kwd1-ThinkPad-T410:~/bica/code$ make bica6
g++ -g -finline-functions -std=c++11 -lpthread -lrt -m64 -I/home/kwd1/bica/root-6.05.02/builddir/include bica6.cpp -L/home/kwd1/bica/root-6.05.02/test/…/builddir/lib -lCore -lCint -lRIO -lNet -lHist -lGraf -lGraf3d -lGpad -lTree -lRint -lPostscript -lMatrix -lPhysics -lMathCore -lThread -pthread -lm -ldl -rdynamic -o bica6
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/kwd1/bica/root-6.05.02/test/…/builddir/lib/ when searching for -lCore
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lCore
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lCint
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/kwd1/bica/root-6.05.02/test/…/builddir/lib/ when searching for -lRIO
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lRIO

(this continues for all libraries after -lCore in the g++ line.)

Hi Ken,

this is indeed odd.
I understand that ROOT works fine from your post: can you confirm it? (start the prompt, run a couple of tutorial should be enough).
Is it possible to obtain the code you are testing (bica)?
Independent of that, I see you are linking this does not exist anymore in the 6 series.


Hi Danilo,
yes, I can start the root shell and run the tutorials.
Here is the code and Makefile. I also took out the -lCint, and got the same failure.

Code attached, here is the Makefile:
edit: the ROOT code is commented out temporarily in the .cpp

include $(ROOTSYS)/etc/Makefile.arch

CC = g++

CCFLAGS = -g -finline-functions -std=c++11

LDFLAGS=-lpthread -lrt


ROOTLDFLAGS=-L/home/kwd1/bica/root-6.05.02/test/…/builddir/lib -lCore -lRIO -lNet -lHist -lGraf -lGraf3d -lGpad -lTree -lRint -lPostscript -lMatrix -lPhysics -lMathCore -lThread -pthread -lm -ldl -rdynamic

bica1: bica1.cpp
(CC) (CCFLAGS) (LDFLAGS) (ROOTFLAGS) -I$(ROOTSYS)/include bica1.cpp $(ROOTLDFLAGS) -o bica1

bica2: bica2.cpp
(CC) (CCFLAGS) (LDFLAGS) (ROOTFLAGS) -I$(ROOTSYS)/include bica2.cpp $(ROOTLDFLAGS) -o bica2

bica3: bica3.cpp
(CC) (CCFLAGS) (LDFLAGS) (ROOTFLAGS) -I$(ROOTSYS)/include bica3.cpp $(ROOTLDFLAGS) -o bica3

bica6: bica6.cpp
(CC) (CCFLAGS) (LDFLAGS) (ROOTFLAGS) -I$(ROOTSYS)/include bica6.cpp $(ROOTLDFLAGS) -o bica6
bica6.cpp (14.7 KB)

Try the attached makefile.
Makefile.txt (412 Bytes)

It works. Thank you very much!