Problem reading in TMatrixD with TTreeReader while working using simple Tree

Hello,

ecounter a problem when using the TTreeReader. I want to read in a TMatrixD from a root file. It works fine when I am just using a tree i.e.:

TMatrixD *trackIDsMatrix = new TMatrixD();
TTree *tree = (TTree *)inFile->Get("clusters");
tree->SetBranchAddress("trackIDsPerCluster", &trackIDsMatrix);
// for testing get number of rows of first entry
tree->GetEntry(0);
std::cout << "Number of rows: " << trackIDsMatrix->GetNrows() << std::endl;

However I would like to use the TTreeReader (I am using it successfully for all the other entries). Unfortunately when I am trying that:

TTreeReader clusterReader("clusters", inFile);
 TTreeReaderValue<TMatrixD> trackIDsPerCluster(clusterReader,
                                                      "trackIDsPerCluster");

I receive the following error:

Error in TTreeReaderValueBase::GetBranchDataType(): Unknown type and class combination: -1, TMatrixT
Error in TTreeReaderValueBase::CreateProxy(): The branch trackIDsPerCluster contains data of type {UNDETERMINED TYPE}, which does not have a dictionary.

Could you please help me with that problem?

Thank you,
Julia

ROOT Version: 6.08/06
Platform: linux slc6 (lxplus)
Compiler: gcc49

Hi Julia,

I cannot reproduce the issue. Can you share the file with us?
Does this work for you?

{
      TFile f("f.root", "RECREATE");
      TTree t("t", "t");
      TMatrixD m(3,6);
      t.Branch("m", &m);
      t.Fill();
      t.Write();
      f.Close();
   }

TFile f("f.root");
   TTreeReader r("t", &f);
   TTreeReaderValue<TMatrixD> rv(r,"m");
   r.Next();
   std::cout << rv->GetNrows() << std::endl;

Cheers,
D

Hi again,

I got intrigued by the example, and created a toy which shows how to process the dataset with RDataFrame:

// Generate dataset
   {
      TFile f("f.root", "RECREATE");
      TTree t("t", "t");
      TMatrixD m;
      t.Branch("m", &m);
      for (auto i : ROOT::TSeqI(16)) {
         m.ResizeTo(i, i*2);
         t.Fill();
      }
      t.Write();
      f.Close();
   }

// Analyse it with DF
   ROOT::RDataFrame df("t", "f.root");
   df.Foreach([](const TMatrixD &m){std::cout << m.GetNrows() << " " << m.GetNcols() <<std::endl;}, {"m"});

Maybe this is useful once we understand better the issue with TTreeReader.

Cheers,
D

Hi Danilo,

thanks a lot for your answers.

I just tried your first example (just in the root prompt) and I receive the same error as before, that the type is unknown:

root [0] TFile f("f.root");
root [1] TTreeReader r("t", &f);
root [2] TTreeReaderValue<TMatrixD> rv(r,"m");
root [3]  r.Next();
Error in <TTreeReaderValueBase::GetBranchDataType()>: Unknown type and class combination: -1, TMatrixT<double>
Error in <TTreeReaderValueBase::CreateProxy()>: The branch m contains data of type {UNDETERMINED TYPE}, which does not have a dictionary.

So I guess there is probably some error with my root setup. I am working in an analysis framework of my experiment with an init script which does the following:

source /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/releases/LCG_88/gcc/4.9.1/x86_64-slc6/setup.sh
source /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/releases/LCG_88/ROOT/6.08.06/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/ROOT-env.sh
source /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/releases/LCG_88/Python/2.7.13/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/Python-env.sh

I checked ROOTSYS, my PATH and the LD_LIBARARY_PATH and they seem to be correctly set.

Do you have an idea?

I also had a look on DF, thanks, that seems to be very interesting and useful also for other applications in our software. Unfortunately when I try to use it (not only with the analysis framework setup but also with the newest root-version), I get an error that ‘RDaraFrame’ in namespace ‘ROOT’ is not known.

Cheers,
Julia

Hi Julia,

thanks for digging further and trying out things. I think this is a bug in 6.08 which was not backported. ROOT 6.08 dates 2 years back and the last patch was released 18 months ago.
Can we help you moving your setup to ROOT 6.14?

Cheers,
D

Hi Danilo,

ok, thanks, I just thought it is a problem with my setup. And yes it works in my other setups where I am using a newer LCG release.
Unfortunately I am not sure I can move, because I would also need to update the whole framework to be compiling with at least gcc62 and I do not intend to do that in this specific case.

Cheers,
Julia

To add:

In the meanwhile I can just use it, using a simple Tree. So that is fine for me.

Cheers,
Julia

Hi Julia,

I really appreciate your flexibility. Unfortunately even if we’d fix it for 6.08, which we do not usually do given the release date, the change would not be available soon: we’d need another 6.08 patch release.
Let me know if I can do anything more and if this blocks you somehow.

Cheers,
D

Hi Danilo,

thanks a lot, I think the best would be to update the framework to newer versions, but for now I have it running.

Cheers,
Julia

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.