Problem on Vista?

Hello,

I have done a project where I divided my files in .cpp and .h with a makefile which is working in Linux (I am using Root 5.22 libs). In order to test it on Windows Vista, I have downloaded Visual Studio 2008. So Root 5.22 is also working well, and I tried to compile my little project. I have changed my makefile thanks to the example in the test folder (Makefile.win32). I am compiling with nmake, so it is ok, I got an .exe file with no errors. However when I run it, I get a message that the program will close, and that is all…

I do not know if it a problem with Vista, or something with the interface, because in fact I am creating a Canvas.

Is there somebody who got the same problem?

Thank you,

Pierre-Louis

Hi Pierre-Louis,

There is no problem at all on Vista (I use it every day)
If you want me to take a look, you can post your files…

Cheers,
Bertrand.

Ok I send you a part of my code which should compile, it is only a Canvas with some random numbers distribution plots. The files are :

includes.h: I have a lot of includes because it is for the other parts of my code
NewTypes.h & .cpp: I define here my distributions
testDistributions.cpp: I plot my distributions
Makefile.win32

And so it compiles but it does not open a Canvas, and I have only the message that there was a problem. In fact I do not implement the exit action to terminate the application.

Thank you,

Pierre-Louis
Makefile.txt (3.58 KB)
testDistributions.cpp (3.39 KB)
NewTypes.h (1.76 KB)
NewTypes.cpp (4.58 KB)
includes.h (992 Bytes)

Hi,

Your code works for me on XP… I’ll try on Vista on Monday and I’ll let you know.
BTW, what is exactly the error message?

Cheers, Bertrand.

Ok, in fact I have no more XP to test.

I have a little DOS window opened with nothing, and just after a Windows error message (in fact it is in French) but it is written something like “the application has closed, we are looking for a solution to your problem”…

To run an application I can just double click on it? Because maybe like this I do not set up the root environment (ROOTSYS,…), do I?

Best regards,

Pierre-Louis

Well, it depends how and where you set ROOTSYS and PATH… If it is in the environment variables (User or System) it is just fine. But I think it is not the problem, otherwise the system would complain because it doesn’t find the dlls.
Anyway, I’ll try with ROOT v5.22/00 on Vista on Monday and let ou know (I tested with svn trunk on XP…). Can you tell me exatly which version you dowloaded?

Cheers, Bertrand.

I have checked and my ROORSYS and PATH are always well defined. My version is this one:

WindowsXP/NT/w2000 with VC++ 9.0 (runs with VC++6 and VC++7.1), version 5.22/00

Pierre-Louis

Hi Pierre-Louis,

So apparently there was a problem with libHist/libMathCore in ROOT v5.22.00 that has been fixed in later versions.
Please try with version 5.23/02 and let me know if you still have the problem.

Cheers,
Bertrand.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer, so I will update my root version, and I will let you know if it works.

Pierre-Louis

Thank you, it works now with the 5.23 version.

Pierre-Louis