Problem making root with pythia8 (novice)

hello,

I am trying to use pythia within root and am getting some errors. I have a Mac Os 10.10.1.

I have downloaded and unpacked pythia8205, changed to that directory, and ran :

./configure --enable-shared
make

Then I downloaded and unpacked root 5.34 (not sure exactly which package would be best for me),changed to the newly created root directory, and ran:

./configure --enable-pythia8 --with-pythia8-incdir=/Users/frizzell/pythia8205/include --with-pythia8-libdir=/Users/frizzell/pythia8205/lib

make

I get error messages as follows:

/Users/frizzell/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:142:25: error: too many arguments to function call, expected 0, have 3
return fPythia->init(idAin, idBin, ecms);
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Users/frizzell/pythia8205/include/Pythia8/Pythia.h:114:3: note: ‘init’ declared here
bool init();
^
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/…/lib/clang/6.0/include/stdbool.h:37:15: note: expanded from macro ‘bool’
#define bool bool
^
/Users/frizzell/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:150:25: error: too many arguments to function call, expected 0, have 4
return fPythia->init(idAin, idBin, eAin, eBin);
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Users/frizzell/pythia8205/include/Pythia8/Pythia.h:114:3: note: ‘init’ declared here
bool init();
^
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/…/lib/clang/6.0/include/stdbool.h:37:15: note: expanded from macro ‘bool’
#define bool bool
^
/Users/frizzell/root/montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.cxx:317:13: error: no member named ‘statistics’ in 'Pythia8::Pythia’
fPythia->statistics();

3 errors generated.
make: *** [montecarlo/pythia8/src/TPythia8.o] Error 1

And root will not run. I'm not quite sure where to go from here and any help would be appreciated. I'm sure I haven't given enough information either so whatever I need to present let me know. I have tried different versions of root and pythia in the past trying to get this to work, but I am fairly positive I have all the residual files removed.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I have no problem compiling that version of Pythia on 10.10.1. It could be you need an update of Xcode ?

Try to do :

Lorenzo

Dylans-MacBook-Pro:~ frizzell$ xcode-select --install
xcode-select: error: command line tools are already installed, use “Software Update” to install updates
Dylans-MacBook-Pro:~ frizzell$ xcode-select -v
xcode-select version 2339.

Is this the proper version?

Hi,

The Xcode version id fine !

There is a problem in the Pythia-ROOT interface with this latest version of Pythia (8.2). If you can, try to use the older version Pythia 8.1.
We will fix this in the next days

Best Regards

Lorenzo

Yes, I used pythia 8185 and root 5.34 and it worked… Thanks!