Problem installing root_v6.06.02.source on Ubuntu 16.04

Hello.
I’m having a problem when building root_v6.06.02.source on Ubuntu 16.04. This is what I do:

mkdir build
cd build/
cmake ../Downloads/root
make -j4
source bin/thisroot.sh 

I got the problem when testing:

root [0] TBrowser b
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN5cling10printValueEP7TObject' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of cling::printValue(TObject*)
Maybe you need to load the corresponding shared library?
(TBrowser &) Error in ValuePrinter: missing output string.

Could anyone help me to fix this issue?.

Thanks in advance,

Luz

The problem is the new ABI coming with gcc 5.x that is not yet supported by ROOT. We are working hard to upgrade the bundled LLVM to support the new ABI.
Meanwhile you can build if you turn off the new ABI, but this works only if all the dependent external packages are also build with the same flag.
Do the following:

mkdir build
cd build/
cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 ../Downloads/root
make -j4
source bin/thisroot.sh 

This is a duplicate of cling::printValue(void const**) unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!

An alternative way, (for me the easiest one), to solve it is to downgrade your gcc compiler as explained here:

I managed to install ROOT 6.06.02 on Ubuntu 15.10 and 16.04 just as Mato described. I have described it here too: http://devnull.ofehr.ch/2016/05/05/installing-root-6-0602-on-ubuntu-15-1016-04/
I am new too ROOT and have run some examples in the user guide, all successfully so far.
Hope that helps.