Problem installing ROOT on UBUNTU 14.04

I am trying to install ROOT on a 64 bit machine. I’ve tried the obvious choice of using Ubuntu software. But the package was missing many headers such as TLorentzVerctor.h. I am trying now to install it from the website. here is what I did:

git clone root.cern.ch/git/root.git

cd root/

./configure

make -j 4

after some time i get the following crash message:
#############################################################################
bin/rootcling -rootbuild -f graf3d/x3d/src/G__X3d.cxx -s lib/libX3d.so -rml libX3d.so -rmf lib/libX3d.rootmap -m lib/libCore_rdict.pcm -m lib/libGraf3d._rdict.pcm -m lib/libGui._rdict.pcm -c /home/mzakaria2/root/graf3d/x3d/inc/TViewerX3D.h /home/mzakaria2/root/graf3d/x3d/inc/TX3DFrame.h /home/mzakaria2/root/graf3d/x3d/inc/LinkDef.h
graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o: In function TNamed::ShowMembers(TMemberInspector&) const': TGX11TTF.cxx:(.text._ZNK6TNamed11ShowMembersER16TMemberInspector[_ZNK6TNamed11ShowMembersER16TMemberInspector]+0x21): undefined reference toROOT::Class_ShowMembers(TClass*, void const*, TMemberInspector&)'
graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o: In function TGX11TTF::ShowMembers(TMemberInspector&) const': TGX11TTF.cxx:(.text._ZNK8TGX11TTF11ShowMembersER16TMemberInspector[_ZNK8TGX11TTF11ShowMembersER16TMemberInspector]+0x21): undefined reference toROOT::Class_ShowMembers(TClass*, void const*, TMemberInspector&)'
graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x310): undefined reference to TVirtualX::GetFontAscent(char const*) const' graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x320): undefined reference toTVirtualX::GetFontDescent(char const*) const’
graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x960): undefined reference to TAttLine::SetLineColorAlpha(short, float)' graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x9f0): undefined reference toTAttFill::SetFillColorAlpha(short, float)'
graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0xa98): undefined reference to TAttText::SetTextColorAlpha(short, float)' graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0xb30): undefined reference toTAttMarker::SetMarkerColorAlpha(short, float)'
graf2d/x11ttf/src/G__GX11TTF.o: In function ROOT::GenerateInitInstanceLocal(TGX11TTF const*)': G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x110): undefined reference toROOT::TGenericClassInfo::TGenericClassInfo(char const*, int, char const*, int, std::type_info const&, ROOT::TInitBehavior const*, TClass* ()(), TVirtualIsAProxy, int, int)‘
graf2d/x11ttf/src/G__GX11TTF.o: In function TGX11TTF::Class()': G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x2b8): undefined reference togInterpreterMutex’
G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x2f0): undefined reference to gInterpreterMutex' G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x32c): undefined reference togInterpreterMutex’
G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x35b): undefined reference to gInterpreterMutex' graf2d/x11ttf/src/G__GX11TTF.o: In function(anonymous namespace)::TriggerDictionaryInitialization_libGX11TTF_Impl()’:
G__GX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0x593): undefined reference to `TROOT::RegisterModule(char const*, char const**, char const**, char const*, char const*, void (*)(), std::vector<std::pair<std::string, int>, std::allocator<std::pair<std::string, int> > > const&, char const**)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lib/libGX11TTF.so] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…

#######################################

your help is appreciated.

You mention that you tried to play with the standard Ubuntu’s ROOT distribution.
Before trying to configure your own ROOT from scratch, did you make sure that you “completely removed” / “purged” (i.e. “remove with any associated configuration files”) all standard Ubuntu’s ROOT related packages?

In principle, I am able to build ROOT using [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/installing-root-from-source/13647/1 favorite build method[/url].
See, for example, [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/trouble-installing/18046/11 old post[/url].

[quote=“Wile E. Coyote”]You mention that you tried to play with the standard Ubuntu’s ROOT distribution.
Before trying to configure your own ROOT from scratch, did you make sure that you “completely removed” / “purged” (i.e. “remove with any associated configuration files”) all standard Ubuntu’s ROOT related packages?

In principle, I am able to build ROOT using [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/installing-root-from-source/13647/1 favorite build method[/url].
See, for example, [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/trouble-installing/18046/11 old post[/url].[/quote]

The method you referred me to did the required job. The important thing was to run “make distclean” or maybe better “make maintainer-clean”

Thank you very much.