Problem installing proof

I’ve installed ROOT 5.26 on opensuse with these options:

./configure --enable-soversion --enable-rpath --prefix=/usr/local --enable-python --enable-xml --enable-ruby --enable-explicitlink --enable-qt --with-python-incdir=/usr/include/python2.6/ --with-python-libdir=/usr/lib64/ --with-ruby-libdir=/usr/lib64/ --with-ruby-incdir=/usr/lib64/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/

it compiles, but when installing I got:

Installing binaries in /usr/local/bin
cp: impossibile creare il file normale `/usr/local/bin/rootd': Text file busy

it means the it cannot create the normal text ...

ROOT works but

root [0] p = TProof::Open("")
 +++ Starting PROOF-Lite with 2 workers +++
Opening connections to workers: OK (2 workers)
/usr/local/bin/proofserv: line 77: /bin/proofserv.exe: No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/proofserv: line 77: exec: /bin/proofserv.exe: cannot execute: No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/proofserv: line 77: /bin/proofserv.exe: No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/proofserv: line 77: exec: /bin/proofserv.exe: cannot execute: No such file or directory
PROOF set to sequential mode
(class TProof*)0xb7aa90

[quote=“wiso”]I’ve installed ROOT 5.26 on opensuse with these options:

./configure --enable-soversion --enable-rpath --prefix=/usr/local --enable-python --enable-xml --enable-ruby --enable-explicitlink --enable-qt --with-python-incdir=/usr/include/python2.6/ --with-python-libdir=/usr/lib64/ --with-ruby-libdir=/usr/lib64/ --with-ruby-incdir=/usr/lib64/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/ [/quote]
Personally I wouldn’t recommend pointing prefix to “/usr/local”.

[quote=“wiso”]

Installing binaries in /usr/local/bin
cp: impossibile creare il file normale `/usr/local/bin/rootd': Text file busy

it means the it cannot create the normal text ...

ROOT works but

[code][/quote]
Have you installed ROOT in this location before?

Please check, that there is no running processes, like: xrootd, rootd, and proofserv currently in your system.

[quote=“anar”]Personally I wouldn’t recommend pointing prefix to “/usr/local”.
[/quote]
why not? I think this is the standard place to install application for all users. Furthermore it’s the default of ROOT installation: from ./configure --help

FLAG            DESCRIPTION               DEFAULT
   --prefix        Installation prefix       (/usr/local)

[quote=“anar”]
Please check, that there is no running processes, like: xrootd, rootd, and proofserv currently in your system.[/quote]
Ok, I’ve killed rootd and the installation works, but the problem with proof is the same:

root [0] TProof::Open("")
(class TProof*)0xc04df0

the problem is that proofserv is installed in /usr/local/bin/proofserv.exe and not in /usr/bin/proofserv.exe. Of course, I can copy manually or create a link but I prefer that someone fix this problem with the installation

[quote=“wiso”][quote=“anar”]Personally I wouldn’t recommend pointing prefix to “/usr/local”.
[/quote]
why not? I think this is the standard place to install application for all users. Furthermore it’s the default of ROOT installation: from ./configure --help
[/quote]

This is exactly the reason why :unamused:

Also, I, personally, prefere to play with several versions of ROOT on the same system. This is a bit difficult if all of them are installed with a prefix pointing to “/usr/local” for all of them.

[quote=“wiso”]
Ok, I’ve killed rootd and the installation works, but the problem with proof is the same:

root [0] TProof::Open("")
(class TProof*)0xc04df0

the problem is that proofserv is installed in /usr/local/bin/proofserv.exe and not in /usr/bin/proofserv.exe. Of course, I can copy manually or create a link but I prefer that someone fix this problem with the installation[/quote]
I suspect that either you’ve just wrongly overwritten some previously installed version of ROOT or your environment settings are damaged.

I would propose a clean reinstall with the complete removal of the ROOT.

Maybe some ROOT experts could clarify more on this issue. For me it looks like a messed up environment.