Problem in compiling pythia8 code with ROOT link

Dear friends,

I hope you’re doing well. I have installed Pythia 8.2.15 with ROOT 5.34/30, HepMC6 and Fastjet3 links on Cygwin 6.1 successfully & I have no problem compiling pythia codes with HepMC & Fastjet external dependencies. But when I try compiling pythia codes with ROOT dependency, although the compilation completes and doesn’t stop, I see an error (dlopen error: No such process) and the executable file that is made doesn’t work properly and gives no result. I hope I attached all the needed information (sysdebug & makelog). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
sysdebug.txt (2.66 KB)
makelog.txt (648 Bytes)

How did you make the installation of ROOT in your system?

Hi mato,

I configured root on cygwin64 using " ./configure win32gcc --disable-opengl " and then used make. Moreover, I removed fortran from my cygwin before installation. because its existence gives rise to an error in installation which I couldn’t figure out how to resolve it. Now, ROOT itself works as a stand alone program. but when it comes to pythia, ROOT fails to work. In configuring Pythia I linked ROOT to pythia using " ./configure --enable-shared --prefix=/cygdrive/d/programfiles/pythia8215/pythia8215/ --with-hepmc2-include=/cygdrive/d/programfiles/HepMC269/install/include/ --with-hepmc2-lib=/cygdrive/d/programfiles/HepMC269/install/lib/ --with-hepmc2-version=2.06.09 --with-root-include={ROOTSYS}/include/ --with-root-lib={ROOTSYS}/lib/ --with-root-bin=${ROOTSYS}/bin/ --with-fastjet3-include=/cygdrive/d/programfiles/fastjet320/fastjet-3.2.0/include/ --with-fastjet3-lib=/cygdrive/d/programfiles/fastjet320/fastjet-3.2.0/src/.libs/ ". As configuration summary says, all the three packages are linked to pythia. but ROOT doesn’t work. Do you see any problem in what I did?!

Hi,

Besides the fact that ROOT is officially not supported on Cygwin, we will need some time to try to reproduce the issue… (setting up the environment and installing all the dependencies)

Cheers, Bertrand.

[quote=“bellenot”]Hi,

Besides the fact that ROOT is officially not supported on Cygwin, we will need some time to try to reproduce the issue… (setting up the environment and installing all the dependencies)

Cheers, Bertrand.[/quote]

It’ll be highly appreciated if you help. This is what I get when I make and run an example code of pythia8.2 with root dependency:

hossein@hossein-PC /cygdrive/d/programfiles/pythia8219/pythia8219/examples
$ make main91
g++ main91.cc …/lib/libpythia8.a -o main91 -w -I/cygdrive/d/programfiles/root5.34.30onCygwin64bit/root/include/ -I…/include -O2 -ansi -pedantic -W -Wall -Wshadow -fPIC -Wl,-rpath,…/lib -ldl
-Wl,-rpath,/cygdrive/d/programfiles/root5.34.30onCygwin64bit/root/lib/ /cygdrive/d/programfiles/root5.34.30onCygwin64bit/root/bin/root-config --glibs

$ ./main91.exe

Apparently, it gives no error while making. But when I run it, it gives NO ANSWER !!!

Hi,

How did you build HepMC?

Cheers, Bertrand.

[quote=“bellenot”]Hi,

How did you build HepMC?

Hi,

I used these commands exactly:

tar zxvf HepMC-2.06.09.tar.gz
cd HepMC-2.06.09
./bootstrap
cd …
mkdir build install
cd build
/cygdrive/d/programfiles/HepMC269/HepMC-2.06.09/configure --prefix=/cygdrive/d/programfiles/HepMC269/install/ --with-momentum=GEV --with-length=MM
make
make check
make install

OK, thanks. I’ll try and I’ll keep you in touch.

Cheers, Bertrand.

[quote=“bellenot”]OK, thanks. I’ll try and I’ll keep you in touch.

Thanks a million,

please notice that I removed fortran from my cygwin before installation. because its existence gives rise to an error in installation which I couldn’t figure out how to resolve it. again thanks.

Hi again,

Here is what I got:

This is one of the reason why I hate Cygwin and why it is not supported, there is always something failing somewhere…

Cheers, Bertrand.

[quote=“bellenot”]Hi again,

Here is what I got:

This is one of the reason why I hate Cygwin and why it is not supported, there is always something failing somewhere…

Hi there,

Yes I got this error while making Pythia8. To handle this, I copied pythia8215/include/Pythia8Plugins/execinfo.h to pythia8215/include/. The error disappeared and making completed successfully & Pythia works properly.

Hi,

OK, thanks for the tip. So I managed to build, and here is the result:

The only difference is the pythia8 version (I use 8215) I’ll try again with the latest one and I’ll keep you in touch

Cheers, Bertrand.

OK, same result with pythia8219…

Cheers, Bertrand.

[quote=“bellenot”]OK, same result with pythia8219…

Thanks a lot for your patience. So your Pythia and ROOT are working properly on cygwin. but mine are not.

Our Pythia installation methods are the same. But for ROOT I’m not sure. This is how I built ROOT:

Firstly I removed Fortran from my cygwin. Because it gave rise to a serious error during building ROOT & I couldn’t handle. Then I used:

./configure win32gcc --disable-opengl
make
make install

Is your ROOT built in the same way?
By which pythia8219 example code did you get that Plot ?

I’ve attached my pythia Makefile. please take a look at it. Maybe something is wrong with addressing ROOT files !!! please let me know your opinion.
makefile and makefile.inc here.rar (2.5 KB)

Here is how I build ROOT:
./configure win32gcc --disable-opengl --disable-python
make (and NO make install)

Well, the same you asked for: pythia8.2.19/examples/main91.exe
And see my pythia8.2.19/Makefile.inc: Makefile.inc.txt (2.03 KB)
Cheers, Bertrand.

Here is how I build ROOT:
./configure win32gcc --disable-opengl --disable-python
make (and NO make install)

Well, the same you asked for: pythia8.2.19/examples/main91.exe
And see my pythia8.2.19/Makefile.inc: [attachment=0]Makefile.inc.txt[/attachment]

Everything looks similar.

I use these settings for ROOT:
export ROOTSYS=/cygdrive/d/programfiles/root5.34.30onCygwin64bit/root
export PATH=$PATH:$ROOTSYS/bin
export LD_liBRARY_PATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:$LD_liBRARY_PATH

Are these right ?

When I open root I get these messages:

hossein@hossein-PC /cygdrive/d/programfiles/root5.34.30onCygwin64bit/root
$ root

•    W E L C O M E  to  R O O T       *

• Version 5.34/30 23 April 2015 *

• You are welcome to visit our Web site *
  •      [root.cern.ch](http://root.cern.ch)            *

ROOT 5.34/30 (v5-34-30@v5-34-30, Apr 23 2015, 18:31:46 on win32gcc)

CINT/ROOT C/C++ Interpreter version 5.18.00, July 2, 2010
Type ? for help. Commands must be C++ statements.
Enclose multiple statements between { }.
dlopen error: No such process
Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library /cygdrive/d/programfiles/root5.34.30onCygwin64bit/root/lib/libMathCore.dll
root [0]

isn’t anything wrong with ROOT ? dlopen error and Load error ? (maybe ROOT in not installed properly!)

I never use “make install”. I simply build it, and then I source root/bin/thisroot.sh

Cheers, Bertrand.

[quote=“bellenot”]I never use “make install”. I simply build it, and then I source root/bin/thisroot.sh

Okay. I’ll build it with no “make install” and see what will happen. Thanks a million for your time and help. Although my issue is not officially supported, but you helped. thanks again.

You’re very welcome! And please let me know if you manage to solve the issue (or not)

Cheers, B.

[quote=“bellenot”]You’re very welcome! And please let me know if you manage to solve the issue (or not)

Cheers, B.[/quote]

Dear bellenot,

I hope you’re having a good day. I did reconfigure and remake with options which I used before & the installation completed successfully with no need to make install and all errors are now gone :smiley: The only thing which has been changed in my system is cygwin itself. It has more packages and libraries installed, compared with before. As you said, after doing make, there was no need to make install. Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

All the best,