Problem compiling

Hello,

Since yesterday evening, I can not compile anything under root anymore.
As an example, I tried the very simple method:

#include <iostream.h>
void hello()
{
cout << " Hello" << endl;
float x = 3.;
float y = 5.;
int i = 101;
cout <<" x = “<<x<<” y = “<<y<<” i = "<<i<< endl;
}

which works when I simply load it with .L and execute it. When I try to compile it with .L test.C+, I fails with a large number of errors unrelated with my code. I put them in an attachement. I have tried this on various machines (including lxplus), and various versions of root.

Would you have any idea what the problem could be?
Thanks!

Thomas.

PS: I am not sure whether the attachment is taken, so here is the first error:

Info in TUnixSystem::ACLiC: creating shared library /afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./test_C.so
In file included from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/backward/iostream.h:31,
from /afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./test.C:1,
from /afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./test_C_ACLiC_dict.h:33,
from /afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./test_C_ACLiC_dict.cxx:16:
/afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or instead of the deprecated header <iostream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
In file included from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_algobase.h:69,
from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/bits/char_traits.h:46,
from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/ios:46,
from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/ostream:45,
from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/iostream:45,
from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/backward/iostream.h:32,
/afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./new:1: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
/afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./new:1: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before numeric constant
dd.txt (142 KB)

I do not see any problem with your script, both interpreted or compiled.
Could you clarify which version you are using? In your log, I see that you are using an adhoc CMS file with no version number attached.

Rene

Hello,

I am using root 5.21/02 , but have tried various versions.

Cheers,

Thomas.

Could you try with our official versions on afs (see root.cern.ch) ?

Rene

Yes, I have tried with the official version on afs (5.20.00/slc4_amd64_gcc34), on lxplus. The result is appended, and it is the same!

Thanks!

Thomas.
p2.txt (104 KB)

I cannot reproduce this problem with any version. You must have something wrong in your environment. Are you able to execute the basic ROOT tutorials?
Do you have something special in your rootlogon.C file?

Rene

[quote=“thspeer”]Hello,

Since yesterday evening, I can not compile anything under root anymore.
As an example, I tried the very simple method:

#include <iostream.h>
void hello()
{
float x = 3.;
float y = 5.;
int i = 101;
cout <<" x = “<<x<<” y = “<<y<<” i = "<<i<< endl;
}

which works when I simply load it with .L and execute it. When I try to compile it with .L test.C+, I fails with a large number of errors unrelated with my code. I put them in an attachement. I have tried this on various machines (including lxplus), and various versions of root.

Would you have any idea what the problem could be?
Thanks!

Thomas.

PS: I am not sure whether the attachment is taken, so here is the first error:

Info in TUnixSystem::ACLiC: creating shared library /afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./test_C.so
In file included from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/backward/iostream.h:31,
/afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or instead of the deprecated header <iostream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
In file included from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_algobase.h:69,
from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/bits/char_traits.h:46,
from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/ios:46,
from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/ostream:45,
from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/iostream:45,
from /afs/cern.ch/cms/sw/slc4_ia32_gcc345/external/gcc/3.4.5-cms/bin/…/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/…/…/…/…/include/c++/3.4.5/backward/iostream.h:32,
/afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./new:1: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
/afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./new:1: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before numeric constant[/quote]
does the following program compiles?

[code]#include

using namespace std;

void hello()
{
float x = 3.;
float y = 5.;
int i = 101;
cout <<" x = “<< x <<” y = “<< y <<” i = "<< i << endl;
} [/code]

Hi,

[quote]/afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./new:1: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
/afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./new:1: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before numeric constant
[/quote]
You create a local file named ‘new’ this is used by the compiled instead of its own header file called ‘new’. This is fatal to any compilation. Please rename or delete the file /afs/cern.ch/user/s/speer/alignment/./new and all will be well.

Cheers,
Philippe.

Hello,

Yes, that was the answer! Thanks a lot! There was indeed a file named new in the same directory! I hadn’t noticed that it was now taking that file!

Kind regards, and thanks for all your help!

Thomas.