Problem compiling under Alma Linux 9

Dear Experts,
I’ve a newly installed PC with Alma Linux 9
I’ve downloaded the source files from the official ROOT repo and I’m trying now to compile it but somehow CMAKE is not able to find X11 though it’s installed, in fact:

minime@boson myBuild]$ sudo yum install xorg-x11-xauth.x86_64
[sudo] password for minime: 
Last metadata expiration check: 2:31:52 ago on Mon 20 Mar 2023 07:50:17 AM CET.
Package xorg-x11-xauth-1:1.1-10.el9.x86_64 is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

Output of CMAKE:

-- Looking for X11
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:230 (message):
  Could NOT find X11 (missing: X11_X11_INCLUDE_PATH X11_X11_LIB)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:594 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindX11.cmake:457 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  cmake/modules/SearchInstalledSoftware.cmake:18 (_find_package)
  cmake/modules/SearchInstalledSoftware.cmake:366 (find_package)
  CMakeLists.txt:245 (include)

Do you have any suggestion?
Kind regards,

• Mauro.

_ROOT Version: 6.26.10
_Platform: Alma Linux 9
_Compiler: c++ (GCC) 11.3.1

Installing ROOT → Build from source → Dependencies

OK many. thanks, It worked.
Cheers,

• Mauro.

Hi sorry,
I’m getting this error now:

CMake Error at /home/minime/root_v6.26.10/myBuild/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build-Release.cmake:49 (message):
  Command failed: 2

'/bin/gmake'

See also

/home/minime/root_v6.26.10/myBuild/builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build-*.log

gmake[2]: *** [builtins/xrootd/CMakeFiles/XROOTD.dir/build.make:86: builtins/xrootd/XROOTD-prefix/src/XROOTD-stamp/XROOTD-build] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:7833: builtins/xrootd/CMakeFiles/XROOTD.dir/all] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Do you have any suggestions?

• Mauro.

Hi @mauroroot,

Do you really need to build ROOT from sources? Please, note that the preferred / recommended installation procedure for regular users is through a binary pre-compiled package or a Conda package; check Installing ROOT - ROOT for instructions.

Other than that, if you really need to build from source, you could check the mentioned log files (cited) to see the specific error when building Xrootd.

Cheers,
J.

Try to configure ROOT adding (switches the support for XRootD off): -Dall=ON -Dxrootd=OFF
Note: you need to remove the old build and configure it from scratch again.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.