Problem compiling root 5.19/04

I just downloaded root and I’m trying it to install it on Fedora 6, on which before root 5.11 was working. No matter what ./configure options I specify, it stops on:

g++ -O2 -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -pthread -o tmva/src/GeneticBase.o -c tmva/src/GeneticBase.cxx
tmva/src/GeneticBase.cxx: In constructor ‘TMVA::GeneticBase::GeneticBase(Int_t, std::vector<TMVA::LowHigh_t*, std::allocatorTMVA::LowHigh_t* >)’:
tmva/src/GeneticBase.cxx:56: error: no matching function for call to ‘TMVA::GeneticPopulation::AddFactor(double&, double&)’
include/TMVA/GeneticPopulation.h:86: note: candidates are: void TMVA::GeneticPopulation::AddFactor(TMVA::Interval*)
make: *** [tmva/src/GeneticBase.o] Error 1

I guess one workaround would be to disable TMVA, but there is no such option as --disable-TMVA. I would appreciate any help.

TMVA was not available in 5.11.
Which version of the gcc compiler do you have?
I suggest doing a
make distclean
make -k

Rene

gcc version 4.1.2 20070626 (Red Hat 4.1.2-13)

I make with -k option, but I still cannot run root:

/opt/pi/ext/bin/root.exe: symbol lookup error: /opt/pi/ext/src/root/lib/libTree.so: undefined symbol: _ZN4TKey6BrowseEP8TBrowser

Same error appeared when compilation finished on the error I reported.

Could you clarify what is the version of ROOT that you are trying to install?
Version 5.11 cannot be compiled with gcc4.1

Rene

OK, sorry, looks I need to clarify:

I’m trying to install 5.19/04, as stated in the topic.

However, before that on the same machine was working 5.11. I wasn’t the one who compiled it, but I guess it was compiled with the same compiler…

Could you post the config.status and config.log files and also the result of the compilation for all failing classes?
We have no problems to compile 5.19/04 with gcc4.1, 4.2, 4.3.1

Rene

I am not sure what do you mean by result o compilation of all failing classes, but I give displayed errors:

g++ -O2 -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -pthread -o tmva/src/GeneticBase.o -c tmva/src/GeneticBase.cxx
tmva/src/GeneticBase.cxx: In constructor ‘TMVA::GeneticBase::GeneticBase(Int_t,
std::vector<TMVA::LowHigh_t*, std::allocatorTMVA::LowHigh_t* >)’:
tmva/src/GeneticBase.cxx:56: error: no matching function for call to ‘TMVA::GeneticPopulation::AddFactor(double&, double&)’
include/TMVA/GeneticPopulation.h:86: note: candidates are: void TMVA::GeneticPopulation::AddFactor(TMVA::Interval*)
make: *** [tmva/src/GeneticBase.o] Error 1
bin/rmkdepend -R -ftmva/src/GeneticCuts.d -Y -w 1000 – -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -pthread -D__cplusplus – tmva/src/GeneticCuts.cxx
g++ -O2 -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -pthread -o tmva/src/GeneticCuts.o -c tmva/src/GeneticCuts.cxx
tmva/src/GeneticCuts.cxx: In member function ‘virtual Double_t TMVA::GeneticCuts::FitnessFunction(const std::vector<double, std::allocator >&)’:
tmva/src/GeneticCuts.cxx:52: error: ‘ThisCuts’ is not a member of ‘TMVA::MethodCuts’
make: *** [tmva/src/GeneticCuts.o] Error 1

cp cint/reflex/python/genreflex/selclass.py lib/python/genreflex/selclass.py
make: Target `all’ not remade because of errors.

That’s all I think. I attach config.log and config.status in config.zip file (extensions not allowed)
config.zip (11.8 KB)

OK, the case is over. The simplest solution was the best - I removed the whole root tree, unpacked it and compiled again. This time it worked… Thanks for help.