Problem building root.5.25.02 under UBUNTU 9.10

Greetings all,

I have spent the last six hours or so trying to build a DEB package for root.5.25.02 under UBUNTU 9.10.

After some initial hiccups it all appeared to be running perfectly but it fails just as it is approaching completion. The full buildlog (10000 lines) is attached, but the last few lines illustrate where it goes wrong.

[quote]Making list for ‘cint/cint’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘cint/cintex’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘cint/cintexcompat’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘cint/reflex’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,libroot-core-dev)
Making list for ‘core/base’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/clib’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/cont’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/editline’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/meta’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/metautils’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/newdelete’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/pcre’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/rint’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/thread’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/unix’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/utils’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘core/zip’ (libroot-core5.25,libroot-core-dev,root-system-bin)
Making list for ‘geom/gdml’ (root-plugin-geom-gdml,root-plugin-geom-gdml,root-plugin-geom-gdml)
shift: 164: can’t shift that many
make[2]: *** [pkglists] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory /home/russell/Documents/Root_src/root-5.25.02' make[1]: *** [install-arch] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory/home/russell/Documents/Root_src/root-5.25.02’
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
make: *** [debian] Error 2
[/quote]

Any guidance you can give on where I might be going wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Buildlog.txt (1.5 MB)

Just an additional clarification - the root build does work and it does install correctly - my problem is with building a DEB package for the install (I would like to be able to manage it through the package manager).

Sorry that the point was unclear in my original post.

Regards

Hi Russell,

I’ve asked Christian, our debian packaging expert for help.

Cheers, Axel.

Hi,

The problem is in the script `build/package/lib/makelists.sh’, where sometimes, one of the defined functions shifts more arguments than is passed, e.g.,

[code]bla() { a=$1 ; shift ; b=$1 ; shift; }

bla foo
[/code]
When using BASH to supply /bin/sh, this is not a problem, while using DASH it is. Ubuntu has, for somewhat good reasons, chosen to use DASH as the default provider of /bin/sh.

I’m preparing a set of new packages of ROOT 5.24.00 (-2) which should hit the Debian archives soon. For that, I will also upload to ROOT a patch of changes that cures this problem. Please don’t ask me for the stuff just yet - there’s a few bugs (Fails to make working CINTEX on SPARC, fails to make G__Base3.cxx on s390) that needs to be rooted out.

Yours,

Christian

Thanks Christian,

I can be patient - the build from source itself worked fine with a few tweaks - while it will be useful to be able to manage it using it the package manager it is hardly a deal breaker.

Dear Christian,

I just posted a new thread about problems with 5.24 on Ubuntu 9.10. Now I found this thread, and it seems like you are working on something? :slight_smile: Will you submit 5.24 to Debian/Ubuntu? If you do, when do you expect it could be available?

Cheers,
Karin

I tried to compile Root 5.26.00d and 5.27.04, on a Debian Squeeze distribution using the “make debian” command in order to obtain debian binaries, after some modifications to let it compile (apparently) cleanly, I faced, for both versions, exactly the same error reported in this thread.

Changing the first line of build/package/lib/makelists.sh to #!/bin/bash solved the reported problem, but then the process exits anyway with an error:

dh_install: Compatibility levels before 5 are deprecated.
cp: cannot stat `debian/tmp//usr/lib/root/5.26/libFTGL.so': No such file or directory
dh_install: cp -a debian/tmp//usr/lib/root/5.26/libFTGL.so debian/libroot-graf3d-gl5.26///usr/lib/root/5.26/ returned exit code 1
make[1]: *** [install-arch] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/docs/root/root-5.26.00d'
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
make: *** [debian] Error 2

(Using ./configure, make and make install everything works fine)

Is there someone still working on this? Does someone has some hints?

I think that recent versions binaries for Debian and Ubuntu would be very appreciated from a big part of the Root community and I would like to produce them… Does someone succeeded in this feat? Or maybe knows why this is not possible?

See my reply of “Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:23” here:
[url]Problem when making debian package - roofit’s hist2workspace