port root6 with Error in <HandleInterpreterException>

I have installed root via port as “sudo port install root6”

Now, while trying to run a C++ macro, I am getting the error msg below. May I ask your help to fix it?

[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] cling_runtime_internal_throwIfInvalidPointer (no debug info)
[] (no debug info)
[] (no debug info)
[] (no debug info)
[] (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] cling::IncrementalExecutor::executeWrapper(llvm::StringRef, cling::Value*) const (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] cling::Interpreter::RunFunction(clang::FunctionDecl const*, cling::Value*) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] cling::Interpreter::EvaluateInternal(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator > const&, cling::CompilationOptions, cling::Value*, cling::Transaction**, unsigned long) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] cling::MetaSema::actOnxCommand(llvm::StringRef, llvm::StringRef, cling::Value*) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] cling::MetaParser::isXCommand(cling::MetaSema::ActionResult&, cling::Value*) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] cling::MetaParser::isCommand(cling::MetaSema::ActionResult&, cling::Value*) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] cling::MetaProcessor::process(llvm::StringRef, cling::Interpreter::CompilationResult&, cling::Value*, bool) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] HandleInterpreterException(cling::MetaProcessor*, char const*, cling::Interpreter::CompilationResult&, cling::Value*) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] TCling::ProcessLine(char const*, TInterpreter::EErrorCode*) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCling.6.20.02.so] TCling::ProcessLineSynch(char const*, TInterpreter::EErrorCode*) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCore.6.20.so] TApplication::ExecuteFile(char const*, int*, bool) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libRint.6.20.so] TRint::ProcessLineNr(char const*, char const*, int*) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libRint.6.20.so] TRint::Run(bool) (no debug info)
[/opt/local/libexec/root6/bin/root.exe] main (no debug info)
[/usr/lib/system/libdyld.dylib] start (no debug info)
[] (no debug info)
Error in : Trying to dereference null pointer or trying to call routine taking non-null arguments.
Execution of your code was aborted.

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: Not Provided
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

Hi @prebello,

what’s sudo port? Is this macports?
Also, you are not saying what you did when this error happened. Did you try to run a macro? (I assume the answer is yes.)
What’s in that macro?

You see, I’m roasting your a little bit for not paying attention to

:slight_smile:

Now, I can guess around a bit. What I see in the error message you posted is:

Ok, that points to an error in your macro. It could be a broken installation, but let’s first make sure that it’s not the macro.

What you can do is to have the macro compiled before you run it. Do this by attaching +g to the macro name, i.e.
root.exe myMacro.cxx+g
or
root[0] .x myMacro.cxx+g

You might get compiler errors, so fix them until it starts running. When it runs, you will get a crash with line number. Try to find the line in your macro where the nullptr is accessed.