Plot and fit data file

Hi! I’ve a data file (see attachment data2.txt) first culomun is a mean energy of primary particle of cosmic ray, culomn 2 is the error of the energy, from culomn 3 to culomn 10 I’ve density of particles (photons, electrons, muons and hadrons) @10m and @100 m.

I need

1. To plot the data in 4 canvas(so I’ll copy the macro 4 times), each canvas will have 2 graph , where on x-axis
    there there is the energy (culomn a) and y-axis the particle density (in one graph @10m and other @100m); for example in the first canvas I need to plot culomn a with culomns c and d, in the second canvas I’ve to plot culomn a with culomns e and f etc.
  2. To fit the 2 graphs;
  3. To print in the statistical box on the canvas the fit result parameters and chi square value.

I wrote the macro (see multigraph.c) but

1. I don’t know how to set that culomn 2 is the energy error;
  2. the macro doens’t work because
    a) this is the plot (I dont’have the graphs, the fit, the tiles, and the statistical box)

b)I’ve the errors:

Thanks
dati2.txt (1.92 KB)
multigraph.C (1.84 KB)

Hi,

I suggest to reduce the problem to the parsing of the input and the creation of a single graph. Once this is achieved, we can move to the multigraph.
A good set of hints and concrete code showing how to parse ascii files can be found here: linuxquestions.org/questions … -c-422806/

Danilo

Hi,

First of all, your data file is in Unicode format (should be ASCII)
Then, try with the modified code and data file below, and look at the documentation of TGraph::TGraph(const char *filename, const char *format, Option_t *option)

dati3.txt (973 Bytes)multigraph.C (1.8 KB)
Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Danilo, I’m reading the link…but it looks like a bit difficult for me…because I don’t know the C very well…

Edit
Hi Bertrand, I’ve just seen your reply…now I look your code and the documentation

Hi Bertrand and thanks! I saw your code, I tried it and it works! I modified somthings to have the title, axis titles and the fit in the legend (See attachment test.c), this is the result

i just don’t know how to set error bars from the file…
thanks
test.c (2.81 KB)

Hi,

To set the errors, you have two options. First option: When reading the data file in the constructor, see
TGraphErrors::TGraphErrors(const char *filename, const char *format, Option_t *option)
Second option: Afterwards, for each point, see
TGraphErrors::SetPointError(Int_t i, Double_t ex, Double_t ey)

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bellenot! I looked the link and it works writing for example

where culomns 1-9 are x and all the y and culomns 10-18 are error_x and all errors_y!