OpenMP

Hi everybody,

I have a “big” problem: I would like to use OpenMP (multi-threading) inside a QtRoot application. The problem is only on windows, because OpenMP is supported by GCC > 4 and VC++, but I’m using VC++ Express (not supported, :frowning: ).

My question: Is there a way to build root with Mingw? or I will need to rebuild everything with Cygwin (approx. 3 day of compilation)?

Thank you very much for any suggestion.
Cheers,

Hi,

No, Mingw is not supported (at least not by the official version of ROOT)

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

Thank you for the answer.
Is there a small probability that in a future Mingw will be supported?

Cheers,

Hi,

The probability is very small, as there is not many user requests and this would be yet another compiler to support…

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi,

I would be curious to hear whether a regular VC express (i.e. without OpenMP) binary is really slower than the cygwin one with OpenMP. I bet the VC one will be much faster. I.e. there is no point in accelerating something by 10% when it’s 3 times slower to begin with… (Btw: the factor 3 is an arbitrary number not meant to reflect an actual timing study.)

Cheers, Axel.

Hi Axel,

Yes, I has the same curiosity, but do you know if is there a way to force manually VC++ Express to use OpenMP? I don’t know, for example installing the libs and dll and headers?

Cheers,