Open ROOT file with absolute path specified by input file processed by TEnv

Dear ROOTers,

I’m trying to create a standalone programme that uses a TEnv environment to control its behaviour. Part of this is reading the absolute path of a ROOT file. I read in a string from the input file, which specifies where the file is. I then try and open the file based on this path, but the programme seems to want to open this path in the current directory, so it fails. Below is a MWE for you to examine and offer advice!

FILE: mwe.C

#include <iostream>
#include <TEnv.h>
#include <TString.h>
#include <TFile.h>

void mwe(){
	TEnv *config = new TEnv( "input_file.dat" );

TString s = config->GetValue( "ROOTFile", "" );
	std::cout << s << std::endl;

TFile *f = new TFile( s.Data() );
	if ( f->IsZombie() ){
		std::cout << "FILE DID NOT OPEN" << std::endl;
	}

return;
}

FILE: input_file.dat

ROOTFile: "/Users/username/root-file-directory/my_root_file.root"

Both of these files are in /Users/username/root-script-directory/ When I run it, I get the following:

username@laptop root-script-directory % root -l -x -q mwe.C++
Processing mwe.C++...
Info in <TMacOSXSystem::ACLiC>: creating shared library /Users/username/root-script-directory/mwe/./mwe_C.so
"/Users/username/root-file-directory/my_root_file.root"
Error in <TFile::TFile>: file /Users/username/root-script-directory/"/Users/username/root-file-directory/my_root_file.root" does not exist
FILE DID NOT OPEN

As you can see, it tries to open the specified absolute path following the relative path. Any ideas how to fix this?

ROOT Version: 6.26/10
Platform: macOS Ventura 13.01

Remove the quotes:

ROOTFile: /Users/username/root-file-directory/my_root_file.root

Thank you @ferhue! I can’t believe I didn’t figure that out, but the issue is now resolved :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.