Not create libEGPythia8.so for Pythia8176 and Root_v5.34.18

Hi all,

While running HepMC2.06.09 together with Pythia8, Root5.34.09 or 5.34.18 is not with pythia8.

I have struggled with this problem for three days, so that Root produces libEGPythia8.so in $ROOTSYS/lib… but it didn’t run whatever i’ve done .

i appreciate for your help.
Ersel.

Hi Ersel,

How did you install ROOT? On which system?

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

I’m using fedora 19 on macbook pro … lol :astonished:)

Firstly, configured Root with the following code, but didn’t run ‘MAKE’ just after that …
and then, i installed pythia8 by configuring with the following code and 'MAKE for PYTHIA8…
Finally, I did ‘MAKE’ and ‘MAKE INSTALL’ for compiling Root

Pythia 8

./configure --enable-shared
make

ROOT

./configure --enable-pythia8 --with-pythia8-libdir=$PYTHIA8/lib --with-pythia8-incdir=$PYTHIA8/include 
make 
make install

Meanwhile, i installed pythia6 right now, it is produced libEGPythia6.so in Root\lib …
Why doesnt’ work Root together with Pythia8

Cheers,
Ersel

as extra info, see the following output after configured Root

Enabled support for asimage, astiff, bonjour, builtin_afterimage, builtin_glew, builtin_pcre, cintex, explicitlink, fftw3, fitsio, genvector, krb5, memstat, mysql, opengl, pythia6, python, reflex, shadowpw, shared, ssl, tmva, vdt, x11, xft, xml.

the output for echo $PYTHIA8 :

/ROOT/Pythia8/pythia8176

and the output for echo $ROOTSYS :

/ROOT/root

Cheers,
Ersel

Hi Ersel,

ROOT v5.34.18 supports only versions of Pythia8 equal or greater to 180, so you should try with a newer version of Pythia8…

Cheers, Bertrand.

Thanks your helping…

I had tried the version 180,183,185 and then Root wasn’t convenient for them… Anyway, i’ll try to compile the Pythia 183 185 again.

Ersel

Hi Bertrand,

i complied pythia8183 at this time and do

./configure --enable-shared   
make

and then in /ROOT/root, again do the following code ;

./configure --enable-pythia8 --with-pythia8-incdir=$PYTHIA8/include --with-pythia8-libdir=$PYTHIA8/lib

but it didn’t work. the problem is still available. so not libEGPythia8.so

in /ROOT/root , its output is

Enabled support for asimage, astiff, bonjour, builtin_afterimage, builtin_glew, builtin_pcre, cintex, explicitlink, fftw3, fitsio, genvector, krb5, memstat, mysql, opengl, pythia6, python, reflex, shadowpw, shared, ssl, tmva, vdt, x11, xft, xml.

Cheers,
Ersel

and i tried this for pythia8185

the output

it doesnt work !

Cheers,
Ersel

and for pythia8180

Cheers,
Ersel

Oh yes, starting from the version 180 of Pythia8, the directory layout has changed. You should try to configure with [color=#0000FF]–with-pythia8-incdir=$PYTHIA8/include/Pythia8[/color]. I.e.:

Cheers, Bertrand.

the same problem again

./configure --with-pythia8-libdir=$PYTHIA8/lib  --with-pythia8-incdir=$PYTHIA8/include/Pythia8

Anyway, it’s ok… i’ll crush my mac soon ,so not need to use pythia8

Cheers,
Ersel

Well, you can still look in $ROOTSYS/config.log to see why it didn’t find one of the pythia8 component…
Cheers, Bertrand.

I ran ./configure togehter with the following code again…

./configure
     "--enable-pythia8"
     "--with-pythia8-libdir=/ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/lib"
     "--with-pythia8-incdir=/ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/include/Pythia8"

and its result in config.log is

Checking for Pythia8/Pythia.h ... 
 Checking in directory /ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/include/Pythia8
  Checking for Pythia8/Pythia.h in directory /ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/include/Pythia8
Checking for libpythia8 ... 
libraries to check for:  libpythia8.so libpythia8.sl libpythia8.dylib libpythia8.dll.a  libpythia8.a libpythia8.lib libpythia8
 Checking in directories /ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/lib64 /ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/lib for  libpythia8.so libpythia8.sl libpythia8.dylib libpythia8.dll.a  libpythia8.a libpythia8.lib libpythia8
  Checking for library libpythia8.so in directory /ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/lib
   Checking /ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/lib/libpythia8.so
   Found file /ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/lib/libpythia8.so
Checking if /ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/lib/libpythia8.so is a 64-bit library
 file -L /ROOT/Pythia/pythia8183/lib/libpythia8.so | grep '64-bit'
 result: 1

I think it found libpythia8.so , and then wrote result: 1 … don’t see any problem.

However, after that the result in config.log is the same again !

Result: Enabled support for asimage, astiff, bonjour, builtin_afterimage, builtin_glew, builtin_pcre, cintex, explicitlink, fftw3, fitsio, genvector, krb5, memstat, mysql, opengl, pythia6, python, reflex, shadowpw, shared, ssl, tmva, vdt, x11, xft, xml.

I don’t understand what the problem is …

Cheers,
Ersel

it works now ! i have no idea how it worked.

it may work either after i shutdown OS or that firstly i ran ./configure --enable-pythia8 and then ./configure --with-pythia8-libdir=$PYTHIA8/lib … etc

However, it works .thanks for your help

Cheers,
Ersel