No graphics in ssh session

Hello,

I built the master branch in a newly installed Fedora 26 system. I wish to use that installation via ssh from a FreeBSD 10.3 box, using the latter as the x-server. I have tested various applications such as emacs and firefox and they all display correctly on the x-server when I do ‘ssh -Y fedora-box’ and start them from the command line.

When I ‘ssh -Y fedora-box’ and start root, I see the splash screen and I can execute a simple script that produces no graphical output. Running ‘.demo’ produces the demo selection box but selecting any of the options locks root, which must be killed from another login. Similarly, running ‘.x unuranDemo.C’ results in no output and root is locked and must be killed from another login.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

So it is not a problem with X11 as you can see the splash screen and also the demo menu. Can you run $ROOTSYS/tutorials/hsimple.C ?

Try a very simple test (try to play with menu items in both windows):

[...]$ root -n
root [0] new TCanvas(); // should draw a "c1" canvas window
root [1] new TBrowser(); // should draw a "ROOT Object Browser" window
root [2] .q

new TCanvas() and new TBrowser() both cause root to hang.

$ROOTSYS/tutorials/hsimple.C produces an hsimple.root file in the directory from which root is called, but the interpreter hangs.

Thanks,
Roger

Ah ! thats weird because you said that you see the smash screen and the demon selection boxes…
It just hang ? you do not get any error messages ?

No error messages. With debugging set to 1:

root [0] .x /opt/root/share/doc/root/tutorials/hsimple.C
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libRIO.so for TFile.h
Info in TUnixSystem::Load: loaded library /usr/lib/root/libTree.so.6.10.08, status 0
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libTree.so for TNtuple.h
Info in TUnixSystem::Load: loaded library /usr/lib/root/libHist.so.6.10.08, status 0
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libHist.so for TH2.h
Info in TUnixSystem::Load: loaded library /usr/lib/root/libHist.so.6.10.08, status 1
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libHist.so for TProfile.h
Info in TUnixSystem::Load: loaded library /usr/lib/root/libGpad.so.6.10.08, status 0
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libGpad.so for TCanvas.h
Info in TUnixSystem::Load: loaded library /usr/lib/root/libGraf.so.6.10.08, status 1
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libGraf.so for TFrame.h
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libCore.so for TROOT.h
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libCore.so for TSystem.h
Info in TUnixSystem::Load: loaded library /usr/lib/root/libMathCore.so.6.10.08, status 1
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libMathCore.so for TRandom3.h
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libCore.so for TBenchmark.h
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libCore.so for TInterpreter.h
TKey Writing 180 bytes at address 100 for ID= hsimple.root Title= Demo ROOT file with histograms
Info in TUnixSystem::Load: loaded library /usr/lib/root/libImt.so, status 1
Info in TPluginManager::LoadHandlerMacros: /usr/share/root/plugins/TVirtualPad
Info in TPluginManager::FindHandler: found plugin for TPad
Info in TPluginManager::LoadHandlerMacros: /usr/share/root/plugins/TVirtualX
Info in TPluginManager::FindHandler: found plugin for TGX11
Info in TUnixSystem::Load: loaded library /usr/lib/root/libGX11.so.6.10.08, status 0
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libGX11.so for TGX11
Info in TPluginManager::LoadHandlerMacros: /usr/share/root/plugins/TGuiFactory
Info in TPluginManager::FindHandler: found plugin for TRootGuiFactory
Info in TUnixSystem::Load: loaded library /usr/lib/root/libGui.so.6.10.08, status 0
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libGui.so for TRootGuiFactory
Info in TPluginManager::FindHandler: found plugin for TGX11TTF
Info in TUnixSystem::Load: loaded library /usr/lib/root/libGX11TTF.so.6.10.08, status 0
Info in TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad: loaded library libGX11TTF.so for TGX11TTF
TClass::GetClass: Header Parsing - The representation of TGWin32 was not found in the type system. A lookup in the interpreter is about to be tried: this can cause parsing. This can be avoided selecting TGWin32 in the linkdef/selection file.
TEnum::GetEnum: Header Parsing - The enumerator TGWin32 is not known to the typesystem: an interpreter lookup will be performed. This can imply parsing of headers. This can be avoided selecting the numerator in the linkdef/selection file.

In you first post here, you say that you “built the master branch”.
However, in your “error messages”, I can see “/usr/lib/root/lib....so.6.10.08” (so ROOT 6.10/08).
Can it be that you have multiple ROOT versions installed, which then fight each other.

I initially installed a compiled version from the Fedora repo. It failed in exactly the way that my build from master fails.

I have just removed some leftovers from the Fedora repo install. I then deleted my install or master from /opt/root and re-installed:

sudo cmake --build . --target install

PATH is set to: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/home/rmason/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/opt/root/bin
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to: :/opt/root/lib/root

Now invoking root leads to:
/opt/root/bin/root.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libRint.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ls /opt/root/lib/root/libRint*: /opt/root/lib/root/libRint.rootmap /opt/root/lib/root/libRint.so*

Make sure that you remove every single package which belongs to Fedora’s ROOT (and remove your own binaries).
Then configure and build your own version completely from scratch again.

I removed the ROOT installed from the Fedora repo. Removed the installed binaries built from master, removed the contents of the build directory, reconfigured, rebuilt and I get the same error when I try to start root:

/opt/root/bin/root.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libRint.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

In an xterminal session source /opt/root/bin/thisroot.sh (in order to set the required environment variables) and then you can run root in this xterminal session.

That was indeed the problem: I had set some environment variables in my .zshrc.

Thank you very much for your help,
Roger

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.