New user installation problem: header files not found

Hello,

I am trying to install ROOT on my personal laptop, but I am encountering a persistent error. The “make” command fails with errors such as “stdio.h: No such file or directory” and likewise for string.h, ctype.h, and some other header files. I have tried to install this ROOT software on a older PowerBook G4 using the built-in versions of X11 and gcc4.0. When I encountered this problem, I tried installing instead on a newer Intel-based MacBook Pro, again with the built-in versions of X11 and gcc4.0. However, the problem is the same in both cases, which leads me to suspect that the error is mine rather than something missing from the architecture of the computer.

Here is the process that I am following to produce this problem.

1. I have tried obtained the ROOT v5.15.08 source code from both the ftp and cvs sources. I am able to obtain the source code with no problems using either method, and the compilation problem is the same in both cases. I have tried another version (v5.15.04), which installed successfully on one of my colleague’s machines, but I received the same errors with missing header files.

2. I move the “root” directory that results from unpacking to the /usr/bin directory and set the ROOTSYS variable, “prompt> export ROOTSYS=/usr/bin/root”. It might be worth noting that I am logged in as a super-user and seem to have no problems writing to the /usr/bin directory.

3. In the root directory, I run “prompt> ./configure macosx --enable-roofit”. The configuration process runs with no errors, although I see a lot of "no"s in the list of items that the configuration process checks for. At the end of the configuration, there is a message saying that to install, I should run “make” and then “make install”.

4. At this point, I follow the directions from the ./configure script instead of the ROOT website, as I do not have the gmake command on my laptop. Instead, I issue the “make” command. After several seconds and many lines of output, I receive the output at the end of this message as the last lines of output before the make fails.

My guess is that this problem is resulting from some very simple error on my part. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adrian

Last lines of output leading to error:

cp proofx/inc/TXUnixSocket.h include/TXUnixSocket.h
gcc -02 -pipe -W -Wall -fsigned-char -fno-common -linclude -DINCLUDEDIR="/usr/include" -DOBJSUFF=".o" -o build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.o -c build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.c
In file included from build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.c:30:
build/rmkdepend/def.h:35:19 error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
build/rmkdepend/def.h:35:19 error: string.h: No such file or directory
build/rmkdepend/def.h:35:19 error: ctype.h: No such file or directory
build/rmkdepend/def.h:35:19 error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
build/rmkdepend/def.h:35:19 error: fcntl.h: No such file or directory
build/rmkdepend/def.h:35:19 error: sys/stat.h: No such file or directory
build/rmkdepend/def.h:35:19 error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.c: In function ‘my_if_errors’:
build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.c:149: warning: implicit declaration of function 'sprintf’
build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.c:149: warning: incomplete implicit declaration of built-in function 'sprintf’
build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.c:149: warning: implicit declaration of function 'strlen’
build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.c:149: warning: incomplete implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen’
build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.c:149: warning: implicit declaration of function 'fprintf’
build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.c:149: warning: incomplete implicit declaration of built-in function ‘fprintf’

(more similar errors, as commands from the missing header files fail left and right)

make: *** [build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.o] Error 1

Did you install the optional develop tools from the Mac OS X install DVD?

I also would advice you not to install in /usr/bin. Either just use your home directory, or /opt/root.

Cheers, Fons.