New PyROOT can't pickle derived class types

Hi all,

I just switched from v6.20 to v6.24 and ran into this problem pickling an instance of a class that derives from a ROOT class. Eg, define a derived class that should be pickle-able in Derived.py:

import ROOT

class Derived(ROOT.TH1F):
    def __reduce__(self):
        return (self.__class__, ())

Then try to pickle it in test-pickle.py:

from Derived import Derived
import pickle

obj = Derived()
pkl = pickle.dumps(obj)

This fails with:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test-pickle.py", line 5, in <module>
    pkl = pickle.dumps(obj)
_pickle.PicklingError: Can't pickle <class 'Derived.Derived'>: attribute lookup Derived on cppyy.gbl.__cppyy_internal failed

The problem is that it can’t pickle self.__class__. I get the same error with pickle.dumps(obj.__class__) or pickle.dumps(Derived). This worked fine with v6.20 but doesn’t work with v6.22 or v6.24.

My current workaround is to write a wrapper function that calls the constructor and return that in __reduce__, ie:

import ROOT

def _new_Derived(*args):
    return Derived(*args)

class Derived(ROOT.TH1F):
    def __reduce__(self):
        return (_new_Derived, ())

Then I can happily pickle and unpickle Derived instances.

Anyway, I just thought I’d write this down for future reference (since google didn’t help me here), or in case this is something that can be fixed in future releases.

Cheers,
Michael

ROOT Version: 6.24/00
Platform: CentOS7
Compiler: gcc10

Hello Michael,

Thank you for reporting! This is now:

Hi @malexand ,
Thank you for reporting your issue. Let me add a bit more context. Your workaround is indeed the right way of calling the __reduce__ syntax on any python object you would want to pickle. You need to supply a function that in turn returns an object of your class for the machinery to work.

That being said, it shouldn’t be needed in general imho. If I try to remove the __reduce__ method from the class I always get a segfault:

vpadulan@fedorathinkpad-T550 [~]: python
Python 3.8.9 (default, Apr  6 2021, 00:00:00) 
[GCC 10.2.1 20201125 (Red Hat 10.2.1-9)] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import ROOT
>>> import pickle
>>> class Derived(ROOT.TH1F):
...     ...
>>> obj = Derived()
>>> pickle.dumps(obj)
 *** Break *** segmentation violation
#7  0x00007f6aeb43a8ac in TClass::StreamerTObject(TClass const*, void*, TBuffer&, TClass const*) () from /home/vpadulan/Programs/rootproject/rootinstall/v6-24-00/lib/libCore.so
#8  0x00007f6aeaaba5a6 in TBufferFile::WriteObjectClass(void const*, TClass const*, bool) () from /home/vpadulan/Programs/rootproject/rootinstall/v6-24-00/lib/libRIO.so
#9  0x00007f6aeaac1b74 in TBufferIO::WriteObjectAny(void const*, TClass const*, bool) () from /home/vpadulan/Programs/rootproject/rootinstall/v6-24-00/lib/libRIO.so
#10 0x00007f6add1ca55f in op_reduce(CPyCppyy::CPPInstance*, _object*) () from /home/vpadulan/Programs/rootproject/rootinstall/v6-24-00/lib/libROOTPythonizations3_8.so

Which highlights a different issue. By the way, what Python version are you using?
Cheers,
Vincenzo

Let me clarify more. With simple python classes your initial version of __reduce__ might work since the python builtin __class__ method can be used as a callable. But in this case the class is more complex, depends on cppyy (as the error suggests) and ROOT . So the builtin __class__ is not enough to return all the minimal information needed to construct an object of that kind (as the pickle documentation states).
I still believe it should not be needed in this case though.
Cheers,
Vincenzo

Hi @vpadulan,

Thanks for the explanation! I’m using python 3.8.6. I’ve also tested on my laptop: OSX 10.14.6, ROOT 6.22/06, python 3.9.1, with the same results. I also see the segfault (on both machines) when trying to pickle without defining __reduce__. In ROOT <= v6.20 I saw that if I didn’t define __reduce__ then it would just pickle the base class (TH1F in this example), presumably using the definition of __reduce__ from the base class.

Normally, when I want to pickle something in a non-standard way I would define __getstate__ and __setstate__, but I’ve found that these are ignored for classes deriving from ROOT classes, and only defining __reduce__ works. Again, maybe this is because the base class defines __reduce__ and that takes precedence over any definition of __getstate__/__setstate__.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi,

After some investigation, this has to do with how cross inheritance is handled in cppyy (and therefore in the new PyROOT).

In cppyy, when a Python class inherits from a C++ base class, a C++ wrapper class that inherits from the C++ base class is jitted. The proxied C++ object that is created for the derived Python class is an object of the jitted wrapper class. The trouble comes when trying to serialize an object of that jitted class: it crashes.

This explains why it’s possible to pickle an object from a ROOT class, but not an object whose class inherits from a ROOT class. By redefining __reduce__ in the derived Python class, you prevent the default __reduce__ to kick in and try ROOT serialization, so it’s good as workaround for now for cross-inheritance classes.

Also, I found out that the unpickling of derived Python-C++ objects in the old PyROOT didn’t really work, since what you got back when unpickling was an object of the base (C++) class, not of the derived (Python) class.

I made this PR to provide a better error message in case of pickling cross-inheritance objects:

Lack of support of I/O for jitted classes in ROOT makes it hard to provide a reasonable generic solution (dictionaries would need to be generated before serializing and be made available for deserialization too). Therefore, in the message it is suggested to implement a custom __reduce__ method, i.e. what Michael already did. Returning a callable (plus some arguments) in __reduce__ prevents an attempt to serialize the cross-inheritance object, which is what we want (the object will be constructed and its C++ wrapper jitted by the callable during deserialization).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.