Need advices for the choice of Linux distribution

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if Ubuntu is a good choice for Linux distribution, especially for newbies like me who are not familar at all with Linux, and who plan to use Root, Madgraph and Rivet.

Thanks a lot for your help ! :slight_smile:

I am currently using ā€œUbuntu 20.04 LTSā€.
I was using ā€œUbuntu 14.04 LTSā€ and ā€œUbuntu 10.04 LTSā€ in the past (yes, I skipped ā€œ12.04ā€, ā€œ16.04ā€, and ā€œ18.04ā€ as I preferred to stay with the compilers provided by my ā€œproductionā€ systems).
I think I can safely recommend ā€œUbuntu ... LTSā€ versions.
When a new ā€œLTSā€ release appears, I wait at least something like 6 months before switching to it (just to give people time to provide new versions of additional libraries and packages suited for the new system).

From my perspective ā€¦ when it comes to ā€œUbuntu Flavorsā€ ā€¦
If you have at least 6 GB RAM, use the very nice ā€œKubuntuā€, or the default ā€œUbuntuā€, or ā€œUbuntu MATEā€.
If you have between 4 and 6 GB RAM, use ā€œXubuntuā€.
If you have less than 4 GB RAM, use ā€œLubuntuā€.

I donā€™t know about Madgraph and Rivet, so I canā€™t talk about that, but if you donā€™t like the default desktop interface of Ubuntu, have a look at Xubuntu, which is also Ubuntu but uses the lighter XFCE environment; to me itā€™s cleaner and less ā€œintrusiveā€, but your mileage may vary :slight_smile:

I recommend Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, but installing later the MATE desktop through ā€˜aptā€™.

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for all these replies.
I will go for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS then, and have a look at Kubuntu/Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

Thanks again !