Multi thread benchmark

how can i benchmark an 2 cpu sistem with bench ? is it possible ?
I seen on a dual xeon that only one cpu is used by bench process …
i tryed with -j3 and -j5 (HT) and top shows me that only one cpu is busy…
Any advice ? Thanks
Adrian

None of the programs in $ROOTSYS/test are multithreaded applications.
I agree that it would be good to add at least one.

PROOF can be used to take advantage of multi-core cpu systems.

Rene

If bench is single threaded, can i say that for a dual CPU the performance in rootmarks is double of a single cpu ? (if i have lets say 600 rootmarks and the system is a dual cpu this means 1200 rootmarks for the system ? )
I understood that PROOF is for distributing computing with ROOT macros … can i use it also with binaries ???
Thanks
Adrian

[quote]If bench is single threaded, can i say that for a dual CPU the performance in rootmarks is double of a single cpu ? (if i have lets say 600 rootmarks and the system is a dual cpu this means 1200 rootmarks for the system ? )
[/quote]
Not exactly that. If you have two processors and run stress twice in parallel, each stress should in principle run with 600 rootmarks. However note that you cannot run two copies of stress in parallel because stress creates/deletes files.
To do that stress stress should be changed to run with filenames including the process id or run in different directories.

[quote]I understood that PROOF is for distributing computing with ROOT macros … can i use it also with binaries ???
[/quote]

PROOF is desined to process data sets in parallel. When you submit a query (eg via TTree::Draw or TChain::Draw) the query is processed in parallel.

Rene