"MathMore does not exist", 5.22/00 on cygwin/Vista

Hi all.

I am getting the following errors when I try to fit a histogram using the latest pro release (5.22/00) on my laptop [Vista Home Premium SP1 with a cygwin installation(*)]:

Error in <TWinNTSystem::DynamicPathName>: MathMore does not exist
Error loading one dimensional GSL integrator

A google search suggested that I needed to install GSL, which I did, to no avail.

I went back to older releases (5.20/00 and 5.19/02) and the problem disappeared. Digging into root/config.log, I see that MathMore is never installed (therefore, not needed?), even for the older root versions that do not give me this problem (**)

So, I am not really sure why 5.22 is so particular about a missing MathMore library, and what I need to do to make these errors go away.

Many thanks.

–Christos

(*)

./configure win32gdk --build=debug
make
make install

(**)

Checking for gsl/gsl_version.h ... 
Checking in directory /include
Checking for gsl/gsl_version.h in directory /include
Checking in directory /api
Checking for gsl/gsl_version.h in directory /api
Checking in directory /usr/local/include
Checking for gsl/gsl_version.h in directory /usr/local/include
Checking in directory /usr/include
Checking for gsl/gsl_version.h in directory /usr/include
  /usr/include/gsl/gsl_version.h is read-able
 Checking in directory /opt/gsl/include
Checking for gsl/gsl_version.h in directory /opt/gsl/include
Checking in directory /include
Checking for gsl/gsl_version.h in directory /include
Checking whether to build libMathMore
Result: no

Hi,

this problem has been already fixed in the latest ROOT release, 5.23.04 and also in the patched branch of 5.22. A new patched release, 5.22.00.b will be soon available.

Otherwise ROOT will build automatically Mathmore, if you have a version of GSL in your system greater than 1.08.
You can easily download GSL from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gsl/ and then compile and install using configure and then make.

Best Regards

Lorenzo

Hmmm, ok. It sounds like I downloaded an oider GSL version (or I did something else wrong). I will have a look when I get a chance tonight.

Thanks!

Hi,

if you have not installed GSL in a non-standard place (like /opt or /usr or /usr/local), you can set also the environment variable $GSL to your GSL installation prefix before configuring ROOT.

Lorenzo

Hi Christos,

Just a small detail: As on Windows there is no standard place like /opt or /usr or /usr/local, just specify the GSL installation location in your configure step, e.g. ./configure win32gdk --build=debug --enable-mathmore --with-gsl-incdir=$HOME/gsl/1.10/include --with-gsl-libdir=$HOME/gsl/1.10/lib
Cheers, Bertrand.