Make not working due to ROOT re-install

Hello,

I am to run a script using CMake. When I do cmake, the files configure and I see this :slight_smile:

Configuring done
– Generating done
– Build files have been written to: /home/pennywise/mmgas/mmdata/build

When I do make, I get an errors and further when I tried make -d to debug:

Considering target file ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/libCore.so’.
File ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/libCore.so’ does not exist.
Looking for an implicit rule for ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/libCore.so’.
Trying pattern rule with stem ‘libCore.so’.
Trying implicit prerequisite ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/libCore.so,v’.
Trying implicit prerequisite ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/RCS/libCore.so,v’.
Trying implicit prerequisite ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/RCS/libCore.so’.
Trying implicit prerequisite ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/s.libCore.so’.
Trying implicit prerequisite ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/SCCS/s.libCore.so’.
No implicit rule found for ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/libCore.so’.
Finished prerequisites of target file ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/libCore.so’.
Must remake target ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/libCore.so’.
make[2]: *** No rule to make target ‘/home/pennywise/software/root/root-install/lib/libCore.so’, needed by ‘mm’. Stop.
Reaping losing child 0x55b0e67a9770 PID 4603
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:106: CMakeFiles/mm.dir/all] Error 2
Removing child 0x55b0e67a9770 PID 4603 from chain.
Reaping losing child 0x55b9f34528d0 PID 4593
make: *** [Makefile:84: all] Error 2
Removing child 0x55b9f34528d0 PID 4593 from chain.

I believe the source of problem was deleting an older version of ROOT and somehow make is still pointing to the folder root-install which was part of the older version.

I have re-installed root again with all dependencies, hoping it might solve any issue but the problem still persists.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :slight_smile:

_ROOT Version: 6.26/10
_Platform: Ubuntu 20.04
Compiler: Not Provided

Hi @pennywise ,

First question: why do you need to compile ROOT from source? Would it be enough for you to just install it on your system (installation instructions)

Regarding your issue

somehow make is still pointing to the folder root-install

Did you make sure you cleaned your build directory? Can you maybe remove that directory and start a build from scratch (again, only if this is strictly necessary in your case).

Cheers,
Vincenzo

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply. Problem is solved haha.

As for your question : I am learning to use another toolkit which required a newer version of ROOT, after I installed ROOT again, I was facing issue with C++ standard and I was suggested to reinstall from source as the toolkit required c++ std=17.

thanks again :slight_smile: