Make: *** [lib/libCintex.so] Error

hello,
i have been trying to install root 5.14 with gcc 3.4 by forcing the computer to use that version of gcc (sudo rm /usr/bin/gcc sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-3.4 /usr/bin/gcc) i did the same for cpp g77 and g++. Anyway i still have this problem :

sudo ./configure
sudo make

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lib/libCintex.so] Error 1

i hope this does not come from the fact that these librairies have been compiled with gcc 4.2.3 and that now that i changed gcc smthing goes wrong with them!!!
could anybody help me?
cheers,
dounia.

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [lib/libCintex.so] Error 1 What there any other error messages or warning before that?

Philippe

yes there was
.L3300' referenced in section.rodata’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIxE6toCintEP8G__valuePv' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o.L3298’ referenced in section .rodata' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIxE6toCintEP8G__valuePv’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o
.L3294' referenced in section.rodata’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIxE6toCintEP8G__valuePv' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o.L3322’ referenced in section .rodata' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIxE6toCintEP8G__valuePv’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o
.L3292' referenced in section.rodata’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIxE6toCintEP8G__valuePv' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o.L3296’ referenced in section .rodata' of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4ROOT6Cintex9ConverterIxE6toCintEP8G__valuePv’ of cintex/src/CINTUtils.o

Yes this indicates that there i a problem with the compilation (i.e. different part compiled with different version of the compiler and/or the compiler/system library are not the right onces …)

Philippe.

okay but i don`t know which librairies have been compiled with which compiler. Actually i already installed root 5.14 and 5.18 on this computer with the other compilers i just deleted my root dir to install it again with gcc 3.4 but i guess it is not enough but could not find the uninstall thing…
do you know if i can solve this?

when i dont sudo first and just type make i get this :

dounia@ordinator:~/gate/root$ make
g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libCintex.so -m32 -O -o lib/libCintex.so cintex/src/CINTClassBuilder.o cintex/src/CINTEnumBuilder.o cintex/src/Cintex.o cintex/src/CINTFunctional.o cintex/src/CINTFunctionBuilder.o cintex/src/CINTScopeBuilder.o cintex/src/CINTTypedefBuilder.o cintex/src/CINTUtils.o cintex/src/CINTVariableBuilder.o cintex/src/ROOTClassEnhancer.o
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file lib/libCintex.so: Permission denied
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lib/libCintex.so] Error 1

dont if this could help…

[quote]do you know if i can solve this?[/quote]First you need to make sure that you technique to install the older compiler is sound … " ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-3.4 /usr/bin/gcc" seems insufficient to me (their is possibly compiler library in /usr/lib and header file in /usr/include). Please refer to the gcc documentation and/or a local expert on gcc installation.
Cheer,
Philippe

okay but i can`t find anything on gcc website.
i put also
rm /usr/bin/i486-linux-gnu-g++
ln -s /usr/bin/i486…g+±3.4 /usr/bin/i486…g++

but you are certainly right this might not be enough…
I did not really get the exact problem with root actually. Could you explain?
thank you.

[quote]I did not really get the exact problem with root actually. Could you explain? [/quote]Sorry I am lost, which problem are you referring to?

Philippe

the libCintex.so library error… is that really that this librairy for example has been compiled with the newer version of gcc? isnt`it possible to remove anything from root and install it again with the right compiler?
i will ask about gcc on the gcc forum…

[quote] is that really that this librairy for example has been compiled with the newer version of gcc? [/quote]I am not 100% sure, but that is my guess.

[quote]isnt`it possible to remove anything from root and install it again with the right compiler? [/quote]Assuming the right compiler is set :slight_smile:, you can easily recompile cintex via:gmake clean-cintex gmake

Cheers,
Philippe.

okay ill try this after fixing gcc.. thank you... ill let you know…
have a nice week end.
dounia