MacOS X: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-do

Dear MacRooters

For testing purposes I have created a library containing a class MyClassA:public TNamed
and methods to create/open a root file and methods to write/read trees.

This library compiles and works well both on FC4 and on my Intel-MacBook Pro.

However, the reason for creating this test library is that I want to call MyClassA
and the corresponding methods from within R, which I have downloaded from: cran.r-project.org/
The binary for the Mac, R-2.4.1.dmg installs its own version GNU gcc 4.0.3, since there
seem to be problems with the current Apple compiler gcc 4.0.1.

While I have succeeded compiling my package for FC4 and running it from within R,
trying to compile it on the Intel-Mac results in the following error:

m3415p019:/Volumes/CoreData/CRAN rabbitus$ tar czf myclassR1_0.1.1.tar.gz myclassR1
m3415p019:/Volumes/CoreData/CRAN rabbitus$ R_ARCH=/i386 R CMD INSTALL -l ~/Library/R/library myclassR1_0.1.1.tar.gz
* Installing *source* package 'myclassR1' ...
** libs
** arch - i386
c++ -O2 -pipe -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -D_REENTRANT -Wno-long-double -I/Volumes/CoreData/ROOT/root/include -c MyClassC.cxx
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
make: *** [MyClassC.o] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'myclassR1'
** Removing '/Users/rabbitus/Library/R/library/myclassR1'

In order to test if I can avoid this error, I have disabled in “root-config” the line:

auxcflags="-Wno-long-double"

Interestingly, now I can compile and run my package from within R w/o problems.

My questions are now:

• Why is this command line option used for macosx?
  • Should not gcc 4.0.3 also recognize this option?
  • Is it possible to disable this line permannently in the root distribution?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards
Christian

It is indeed not needed anymore on MacOS X 10.4/Intel. We are checking now if we still need it for 10.3 and/or PPC.

Cheers, Fons.

Dear Fons

Thank you, this is indeed good news.

BTW, “man gcc” for Intel-Mac does not list this option, maybe this could be the reason for the error?

Best regards
Christian

the option is only needed for Mac OS X <= 10.3. I’ve changed the Makefile such that it is not used on >= 10.4. Fix is now in the cvs head.

Cheers, Fons.

Great, thank you
Christian