Mac os x installation problem

Hello,

I’ve downloaded the source files for root version 5.11.06 on my mac os x PPC panther (10.3.x). The installation successfully started but I received the following error while running make:

[quote]bin/rmkdepend -R -fodbc/src/TODBCResult.d -Y -w 1000 – -pipe -W -Wall -Wno-long-double -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -D__cplusplus – odbc/src/TODBCResult.cxx
g++ -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -Wno-long-double -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -o odbc/src/TODBCResult.o -c odbc/src/TODBCResult.cxx
odbc/src/TODBCResult.cxx: In member function virtual const char* TODBCResult::GetFieldName(int)': odbc/src/TODBCResult.cxx:60: error:SQLULEN’ undeclared (first use this
function)
odbc/src/TODBCResult.cxx:60: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
only once for each function it appears in.)
odbc/src/TODBCResult.cxx:60: error: parse error before ;' token odbc/src/TODBCResult.cxx:67: error:columnSize’ undeclared (first use this
function)
make: *** [odbc/src/TODBCResult.o] Error 1
rm utils/src/RStl_tmp.cxx utils/src/rootcint_tmp.cxx
[/quote]

Could you please let me know what the problem could be?

Thanks,
bharat211.

Hi, bharat

Unfortunately, I has no access to MacOS to identify the problem.

SQLULEN was introduced by Microsoft to resolve 32/64 bit problem.
Most of modern ODBC drivers are supporting this type.
Can you look, that your sqltypes.h (or sql.h) contains definition of
SQLLEN and SQLULEN types. If not, ROOT ODBC plugin cannot be compiled on your platform.

If you do not need ODBC plugin, for time beeing just call

./configure --disable-odbc

to exclude ODBC plugin compilation.

If ODBC plugin is required, you must install more recent ODBC version, which should support 64-bit.

Regards,
Sergey Linev

linev,

thanks for the help regarding the odbc. It seems that i do not have sql.h or sqltypes.h files. The new params to configure resolved that problem. But, there is another error I am now receiving while I’m making root:

[quote]bin/rmkdepend -R -fmain/src/rmain.d -Y -w 1000 – -pipe -W -Wall -Wno-long-double -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -D__cplusplus – main/src/rmain.cxx
g++ -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -Wno-long-double -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -o main/src/rmain.o -c main/src/rmain.cxx
g++ -O2 -bind_at_load -o bin/root.exe main/src/rmain.o -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__Hist -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__Graf1 -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__G3D -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__GPad -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__Tree -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__Matrix
-Llib -lCore -lCint -lHist -lGraf -lGraf3d -lGpad -lTree -lMatrix -lRint -lm -lpthread -ldl
ld: Undefined symbols:
TMatrixTSym::Delete_m(int, double*&)
TMatrixT::Delete_m(int, double*&)
make: *** [bin/root.exe] Error 1[/quote]

Please help me out with this one.
Thanks,
bharat211

Hi,

Could you do

make distclean
make

Eddy

[quote=“Eddy Offermann”]Hi,

Could you do

make distclean
make

Eddy[/quote]

hello,

I’m still getting the same error:

[quote]bin/rmkdepend -R -fmain/src/rmain.d -Y -w 1000 – -pipe -W -Wall -Wno-long-double -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -D__cplusplus – main/src/rmain.cxx
g++ -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -Wno-long-double -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -o main/src/rmain.o -c main/src/rmain.cxx
g++ -O2 -bind_at_load -o bin/root.exe main/src/rmain.o -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__Hist -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__Graf1 -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__G3D -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__GPad -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__Tree -Wl,-u,_G__cpp_setupG__Matrix
-Llib -lCore -lCint -lHist -lGraf -lGraf3d -lGpad -lTree -lMatrix -lRint -lm -lpthread -ldl
ld: Undefined symbols:
TMatrixTSym::Delete_m(int, double*&)
TMatrixT::Delete_m(int, double*&)
make: *** [bin/root.exe] Error 1
rm utils/src/RStl_tmp.cxx utils/src/rootcint_tmp.cxx
[/quote]

bharat211

The compiler in 10.3.x is deficient and can not handle the template in the matrix package. I strongly recommend that you upgrade to a newer version of the operating system (or at least a newer version of the compiler). If this is not an option, there is a patch that can lead to the compilation of the code with this compiler … however there is no guarantee that this patch would lead to a functioning matrix package (hence the reason why this patch was not uploaded).

Cheers,
Philippe

[quote]The compiler in 10.3.x is deficient and can not handle the template in the matrix package. I strongly recommend that you upgrade to a newer version of the operating system (or at least a newer version of the compiler). If this is not an option, there is a patch that can lead to the compilation of the code with this compiler … however there is no guarantee that this patch would lead to a functioning matrix package (hence the reason why this patch was not uploaded).

Cheers,
Philippe[/quote]

Philippe, thanks for the suggestion. After wracking my brains on this issue for so long, I did infact upgrade to mac os x 10.4.x Tiger and have been successfully able to install root.

Thanks for everyone who tried to help me with this issue. I guess Panther support of root is goodbye. :slight_smile:

bharat211.