Loop over all events within RDataFrame

Hi, is it possible to loop over all events and show the “inserted event” in some sort of an interactive way.

I tried:

auto all_events = df.Filter("EventNumber > 0 ");
	for i in all_events {}.... // not sure what to put here

Hi @Karl007 ,
you cannot write an explicit loop over events, but you can tell RDataFrame that you want to do something at every event:

df.Foreach([]() { std::cout << "hello I'm in an event\n"; });

You can of course pass column values as input to Foreach. In particular if you pass the special column name rdfentry_, that is a unique event number identifier.

I hope this helps!
Enrico

P.S.
for debugging you can also put the printout in a Filter or Define expression:

df.Filter("std::cout << EventNumber << '\n'; return true;")

Hi,

I am not entirely sure how to put an if statement in here. I am trying:

Thanks!

What is something in return something? I.e. what do you want to do exactly when an event matches a certain condition?

P.S.
the short answer is that if you write df.Filter("..condition here..").Foreach(..) the expression passed to Foreach is executed only for events satisfying the Filter condition, but there might be a better way to do what you want to do depending on what it is exactly.

I would like to draw the chosen event. So somehow integrate allow “cin >> event_number” and draw the inserted event. For example:

df.Foreach([](int i) { std::cout << i << std::endl;}, "{cin >> event_number, draw that event somehow"; });

I see. Operating on a single, manually selected event is not really something that RDataFrame’s interfaces do well.

You might want to instaed open the TTree/TChain, set up the branches you need to read and call GetEntry(entryNumber) to retrieve just that event.

See the tree tutorials or the manual for more info.

Cheers,
Enrico