Limitation of TGRootIDE

The following CINT Macro:
{
char c;
cout << "Enter character: ";
cin >> c;
cout << “Hello World” << endl;
}
does not work within TGRootIDE. It is because TGRootIDE takes its bottom view only as output window, and not as input window. Possibility of input disappear and the program hangs. Is there a way around this, or can we espect a new version without this limitation?
Notice also that the following CINT macro:
{
}
works perfectly on Linux, but on Windows XP I get [ after the correct printing of “Hello World”] :
SysError in TWinNTSystem::RedirectOutput: could not restore stdout (Permission denied)
All these tests have been done with Root 5.19/04.
Thanks for your help

Hi Francois-Xavier,

[quote]Is there a way around this, or can we espect a new version without this limitation?[/quote]Nope. There is no real I/O redirection in ROOT for the time being (and no plans to have it AFAIK…)

Cheers,
Bertrand.

In that case, I would suggest [if it is feasible ] to add to TGRootIDE the option that the bottom txt canvas of TGRootIDE be not used and that I/O remains in the window from which TGRootIDE [or the program using TGRootIDE] has been launched, as is the case for all standard Root programs.
I insist upon TGRootIDE because it appears to me to be a very interesting product. I envisage to incorporate it inside all my programs, allowing by that at the same time to edit the macros of the program and to provide, by the possibility of opening html files, an help for the program. For that, it would also be interesting to have the possibility to have automatically at launch a second html file, chosen to be an help for the specific program, without the user having to type the web address.
What do you think?

Hi Francois-Xavier,

Well, it is already the case…What more do you need?

Cheers,
Bertrand.

I do not understand your last remark. If I launch TGRootIDe on my PC under Windows XP, first the usual “MS-DOS like” window labelled “Root session” opens, with the usual ROOT welcome. Then the TGRootIDE window opens. If I edit inside it the following CINT macro
{
}
and hit the “Execute Macro” button, “Hello world” appears in the bottom part of the TGRootIDE window, not in the “MS-DOS like” window. The "MS-DOS like window is then dead, and I even cannot type .q in it!

Oh! ok, I understand now. I’ll see what I can do about this.Thanks for the feedback.
Bertrand.