libX11 Must be installed error

At the moment I am trying to install ROOT onto my unbuntu linux version 13.04 machine, and so far I am without success. Whenever I try to go through a ./configure command I am given the following error message in spite of libX11 being installed:

So I tried this modified form of a solution I found for version 11.04 of unbuntu, modified for the x86_64 architecture that my 13.04 version is installed on:

WHERE_TO_INSTALL_ROOT=/usr/local ./configure linux \ --with-x11-libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64 -linux-gnu \ --with-xft-libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64 -linux-gnu \ --with-xext-libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64 -linux-gnu \ --with-xrootd-opts=--syslibs=/usr/lib/x86_64 -linux-gnu \ --prefix=$WHERE_TO_INSTALL_ROOT

All I got out of that was this:

Invalid option '--with-xrootd-opts=--syslibs=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'. Try ./configure --help

I am in the right directory, I know I installed all the important packages with commands like:

and nothing is helping at all. I am at my wit’s end, and I would love to know what it is I’m doing wrong in the building process.

you can install ROOT from a repository. just use

in ubuntu 13.04 it will install ROOT 5.34.00

[quote=“thespiesman”]At the moment I am trying to install ROOT onto my unbuntu linux version 13.04 machine, and so far I am without success. Whenever I try to go through a ./configure command I am given the following error message in spite of libX11 being installed:

Hello, I do not know very much Ubuntu but I think you have to install a package called libx11-dev

[quote=“pamputt”][quote=“thespiesman”]At the moment I am trying to install ROOT onto my unbuntu linux version 13.04 machine, and so far I am without success. Whenever I try to go through a ./configure command I am given the following error message in spite of libX11 being installed:

Hello, I do not know very much Ubuntu but I think you have to install a package called libx11-dev[/quote]

Remember the part where I installed libx11-dev and it didn’t recognise my installation? That’s the problem I’m pointing out. I have used the command:

repeatedly, so I’m pretty sure that it is installed. It must be installed in a weird place though that doesn’t let me use it on my computer.

[quote=“audiophiel”]you can install ROOT from a repository. just use

in ubuntu 13.04 it will install ROOT 5.34.00[/quote]

I will attempt this solution. Here’s hoping that it works.

[quote=“audiophiel”]you can install ROOT from a repository. just use

in ubuntu 13.04 it will install ROOT 5.34.00[/quote]

This solution worked without a hitch thusfar. There are no error messages that popped up as I was installing via this method, and so far as I know ROOT is installed now. Thanks so much for the help!

Hello! I have the same problem right now; but I use Elementary OS. I come from this thread on the ubuntuforums ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1790065 and the installation is taking turns saying that libX__ is not installed. All my libX libraries are in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu. How would I tell the configuration to check that location?