Libnetx lost..migrating from 5.22.0 to 5.32.0 on win32

Hello,
I have recently begun moving from 5.22 to 5.32 on win32 platform. My application failed to compile and link due to removal of TXNetFile.h and libnetx.lib I noticed that in the release notes, xrootd is no longer included in the binaries for win32 platform. Is this because it is no longer compatable or due to a lack of demand? Will it be possible (for me) to built libnetx.dll from the sources? I am currently running xrootd 20071101-0808P1 on Fedora Release 8 and enjoying a performance benefit accessing files on my LAN.

Note: I am currently building w/ Visual Studio 2008, but will be moving to VS 2010 soon.
Note: I was able to compile and linke once I removed libnetx dependance and so far, what I have tested works fine (yay!)

Thank you

Ed

Hi Ed,

xrootd is not supported on Windows anymore (don’t ask me why). So the only solution would be to keep your latest working version of xrootd, and build Root from source, using --with-xrootd-incdir and --with-xrootd-libdir configure flags to specify where xrootd can be found…

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Betrand,
I am a little confused - “xrootd” is referring to two different things, correct? One is xrootd that runs on a fedora box near the servers, not on my desktop. There is no need to channge that, correct?

For the win32 desktop applications, you are saying that I need to rebuild root from sources using configure flags the specify where xrootd can be found. I’m not exactly sure what this means Presumably this is the code that gives rise to libnetx.lib, libnetx.dll, etc. Are the files I need in SVN? Do I get them from the 5.22 branch? Could I just use the 5.22 built libnetx library?

Thanks!
Ed

Hi Ed,

Right, I’m talking about the client part of xrootd (the server part has never been ported on Windows), needed to build libnetx[.dll][.lib]
And I don’t think you can use an old version of libnetx with a newer version of Root…

Cheers, Bertrand.