libGX11TTF.so and/or libX11 problem

hi, i have found some other post relating to this, but it has no solution in it.

i have linux mint 15 which ported from ubuntu 13.04. i have installed all prerequisite packages and still when it gets to libx11 , 5.34 gives the following error.

g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libGX11TTF.so -m64 -O2 -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--as-needed -o lib/libGX11TTF.so graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o graf2d/x11ttf/src/G__X11TTF.o -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lfreetype -lz -Llib -lGX11 -lGraf -lXpm -lXext -lX11 -lXft -Llib -lCore -lCint -ldl graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o: In function `TGX11TTF::DrawText(int, int, float, float, wchar_t const*, TVirtualX::ETextMode)': TGX11TTF.cxx:(.text+0xee9): undefined reference to `TTF::PrepareString(wchar_t const*)' graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x240): undefined reference to `TVirtualX::GetOpenGLScalingFactor()' graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x248): undefined reference to `TVirtualX::CreateOpenGLWindow(unsigned long, unsigned int, unsigned int, std::vector<std::pair<unsigned int, int>, std::allocator<std::pair<unsigned int, int> > > const&)' graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x250): undefined reference to `TVirtualX::CreateOpenGLContext(unsigned long, unsigned long)' graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x258): undefined reference to `TVirtualX::MakeOpenGLContextCurrent(unsigned long, unsigned long)' graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x260): undefined reference to `TVirtualX::GetCurrentOpenGLContext()' graf2d/x11ttf/src/TGX11TTF.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8TGX11TTF[_ZTV8TGX11TTF]+0x268): undefined reference to `TVirtualX::FlushOpenGLBuffer(unsigned long)' collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [lib/libGX11TTF.so] Error 1

i can continue compiling with --disable-x11 doing this i have a working compilation without GUI.

i also tried to compile 5.32 too, and it just stcuk at configuration step telling

Checking for libX11 ... no configure: libX11 MUST be installed

i dont want to use precompiled version for ubuntu since all files are scattered around the system. (I know they are actually in their usual paths for a linux system but finding them all in one place like compilation directory, priceless.) so please someone take a look into this problem and let find a solution to it.

YILMAZ

(i will be in a one week vacation and may not give quick answers daily)

[quote=“yilmaz_durmaz”]hi, i have found some other post relating to this, but it has no solution in it.
[/quote]
That’s because we are not able to reproduce the problem. All the functions required are defined in the corresponding *.cxx files, so it’s quite weird that you do no have complains about ALL TVirtualX’s members, but only about these (which were introduced in 5.34). It really looks like you somehow link with a wrong library.

then there is something else we are not told to install because this is my second machine i am trying to install root and get the same result.

i tried v5.30: it has just couldnt find the path to rmkdepend.

i tried v5.32: it could not find libx11.

i tried v.534: it just stopped at the line i submitted earlier.

you say the problem is reproducing. then let me help a little more.
my first machine has linux mint v14 64bit based on ubuntu v12.10 and the second one is linux mint v15 64bit based on ubuntu v13.4. after a clean installation of the system and installing required packages, the rest is trying to compile root from source and get the errors.
if someone really want to investigate but dont want to waste time and resources to install these linux versions, i can create a developer account in my computer and give sudoer rights for you.
just please ask for it.

YILMAZ

[quote=“yilmaz_durmaz”]
i tried v.534: it just stopped at the line i submitted earlier.

you say the problem is reproducing. then let me help a little more.
my first machine has linux mint v14 64bit based on ubuntu v12.10 and the second one is linux mint v15 64bit based on ubuntu v13.4. after a clean installation of the system and installing required packages, the rest is trying to compile root from source and get the errors.
if someone really want to investigate but dont want to waste time and resources to install these linux versions, i can create a developer account in my computer and give sudoer rights for you.
just please ask for it.

YILMAZ[/quote]

Hello, thanks for the additional information, it really helps - I’ll try to install the mint 15 64 bit on VBox tomorrow.

[quote=“yilmaz_durmaz”]i tried v.534: it just stopped at the line i submitted earlier.

YILMAZ[/quote]

I’m sorry, but as I said - your problem is not reproducible. I have:

1. installed Linux Mint 15 64-bit with Cinnamon desktop.
  2. installed g++ 4.7, svn (and I was using v5-34-00-patches branch), dpkg-dev, libx11-dev, libxext-dev,
    libxft-dev, libxpm-dev.
  3. configured with ‘./configure’ and built with ‘make -j4’.

ROOT compiles/links/works just perfect. So with a clean installation, without your system littered with other libraries (probably, previous installations of ROOT) everything is OK.

so, this is a bit disappointing to me, but narrows a possibility.
as far i know ttf stands for true type fonts mostly including language characters other than english.
although i installed the system with english language, i used turkish keyboard layout for input method.
next weekend i will be back to my office and will try some more testing.

until then, if you somehow happen to reproduce the problem or meet somewhere else, i hope you find a solution.

thanks for now
YILMAZ