Home | News | Documentation | Download

Latest ROOT6 from homebrew cannot find fonts and icons

Since I updated root6 to 6.10.02 via homebrew recently, it started having problems finding fonts and icons. For example, when trying to work with a data file (without setting $ROOTSYS, which is usually fine):

> % root -l data.root
root [0]
Attaching file data.root as _file0...
(TFile *) 0x7f82f04d6ca0
root [1] save->Draw("targetPos")
Error in <TSystem::ExpandFileName>: input: $ROOTSYS/icons/Root6Icon.png, output: $ROOTSYS/icons/Root6Icon.png
Info in <TCanvas::MakeDefCanvas>:  created default TCanvas with name c1
Error in <TSystem::ExpandFileName>: input: $ROOTSYS/fonts/symbol.ttf, output: $ROOTSYS/fonts/symbol.ttf
Error in <FontCache::SelectSymbolFont>: symbol.ttf file not found
Error in <TSystem::ExpandFileName>: input: $ROOTSYS/fonts/symbol.ttf, output: $ROOTSYS/fonts/symbol.ttf
root [2]

Of course I should be setting $ROOTSYS to be sure. But it still can’t find fonts and icons with the variable set as intended (using env here but same result after running thisroot.sh):

> % env ROOTSYS=/usr/local/opt/root6 root -l data.root
root [0]
(TFile *) 0x7f808891da60

I noticed that the homebrew installation in fact does not have the fonts or icons folder in the top of the root directory, instead they are in $ROOTSYS/share/root or equivalently via symlink /usr/local/share/root. So I got it to work like this:

> % env ROOTSYS=/usr/local/opt/root6/share/root root -l data.root
root [0]
(TFile *) 0x7ff7e492f770

But as far as I understand, the correct $ROOTSYS should be at the top directory (/usr/local/opt/root6) so this solution seems like it would just cause other problems. And to be clear, this does have user-visible effects, e.g. no minus signs on my axes and root applet shows another app’s registered .exe icon instead of root’s. Is this a bug in ROOT or in the homebrew formula?

Thanks

[SOLUTION]: ROOT6 (v6.10.04) installed via Homebrew on MacOS can't find fonts, symbols

There seems to be no core ROOT developers in the contributors of the homebrew formula. Also our internal builds do not suffer from this problem as far as I know, so I would assume that it is a bug of the formula.

So I’m assuming fonts and icons are intended to end up in $ROOTSYS, not $ROOTSYS/share/root? I see references to fonts and icons in both locations in the source code?

Judging from the cmake install configuration I reckon you are right. Can’t say why they end up somewhere else though :confused:

The brew formula is here. I don’t see anything to indicate that it is moving these folders into weird places. Will try building from source and see if I find any problems.

Hi, I’ve just downloaded root trought homebrew and had the same problem. I was wondering if you could solve it?

Thank you.

I fixed it locally by symlinking the fonts and icons folders into /usr/local/opt/root6/ and making sure you’ve run thisroot.sh or set $ROOTSYS to /usr/local/opt/root6/. Ideally it should be fixed in the homebrew formula or upstream.

Hi,

Can you describe step by step what you’ve done? I’m not very good with it and could not fix the bug.

Thanks…

Sure. In your shell do:

export ROOTSYS=/usr/local/opt/root6
cd $ROOTSYS
ln -s share/root/icons share/root/fonts .

The first line you will need to add to your shell configuration files, or otherwise run it every time you open a new shell. Also read the Caveats at the end of brew info root6 which tells you how to run a script which sets up ROOTSYS and other variables for you.

Hi,

I’ve done it and worked nice. But I realized that when I start a new shell, the problem appears again. Do I need to run ". $(brew --prefix root6)/libexec/thisroot.sh;"every time?

Hi,

this solution Latest ROOT6 from homebrew cannot find fonts and icons
alters the environment of the shell, you need to perform the steps every time you open a shell or to add them to the .bashrc or equivalent.

Hi all, the underlying problem was identified by the homebrew maintainers as a bad path for CMAKE_INSTALL_ICONDIR and CMAKE_INSTALL_FONTDIR when performing a “fixed install” with the build flag -Dgnuinstall. See the linked github thread for full details.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Added JIRA ticket https://sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-8970