Issues with starting root

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: 6.30.06 x64
Platform: Windows 10
Compiler: Not Provided

Hello, I’ve downloaded root from the .exe file provided in the root website. After launching the installer and successfully installing root, I tried to open it from the command prompt inside Visual Studio 2022. However I get some errors and it fails to start root. Could you please help me with this issue?
Notice that I’ve already installed the dependencies listed on the website for root v6.30.06, and the workload for Linux and C++ is installed in Visual Studio 2022 as well. I’ve already tried uninstalling and reinstalling root a few times.
I’ve also tried launching root from the regular cmd prompt, but the same errors pop up.

Welcome to the ROOT Forum!
Please start from a x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2022 (or x86 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2022 if you installed the 32 bit version)

I have just tried your solution, however the exact same errors pop up again.

can you open a x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2022, type cl and copy/paste the output here?

Oh wait, you have to install the Desktop Development with C++ workload, not the Linux one

Yes this was the issue, now it works fine even outside of the native tools command prompt. Thank you for the help

1 Like