Issue while building root (6.20.00)

Hello everyone,

I am trying to build root v6.20.00 from source using :

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../installdir ../../root-6.20.00/ -Dpython=ON -DPython_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python3.6 -Dbuiltin_gsl=OFF -Dbuiltin_fftw3=OFF -Dbuiltin_cfitsio=OFF -Dbuiltin_xrootd=OFF -Dbuiltin_tbb=OFF -DVc=OFF -Dbuiltin_veccore=OFF -Dbuiltin_vdt=OFF -Dtesting=OFF

and

cmake --build . -- install -j4

I encouter this error :

[ 86%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libGX11TTF.so
[ 86%] Built target GX11TTF
[ 86%] Building CXX object graf2d/postscript/CMakeFiles/Postscript.dir/src/TSVG.cxx.o
[ 86%] Building CXX object graf2d/postscript/CMakeFiles/Postscript.dir/src/TTeXDump.cxx.o
[ 86%] Building CXX object graf2d/asimage/CMakeFiles/ASImage.dir/src/TASImage.cxx.o
/home/root-6.20.00/graf2d/asimage/src/TASImage.cxx:107:13: fatal error: afterimage.h: No such file or directory
 #   include <afterimage.h>
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
gmake[2]: *** [graf2d/asimage/CMakeFiles/ASImage.dir/build.make:76: graf2d/asimage/CMakeFiles/ASImage.dir/src/TASImage.cxx.o] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:21837: graf2d/asimage/CMakeFiles/ASImage.dir/all] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 86%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libPostscript.so
[ 86%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TPadPainter.cxx.o
[ 86%] Built target Postscript
[ 86%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TPaveClass.cxx.o
[ 86%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TRatioPlot.cxx.o
[ 86%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TSliderBox.cxx.o
[ 86%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libSpectrumPainter.so
[ 86%] Built target SpectrumPainter
[ 86%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TSlider.cxx.o
[ 86%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TView.cxx.o
[ 86%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TViewer3DPad.cxx.o
[ 86%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libGpad.so
[ 86%] Built target Gpad
gmake: *** [Makefile:156: all] Error 2

_ROOT Version:_6.20.00
Platform: Rocky Linux 8.9
_Compiler:_GCC 8.5.0

Thank you in advance for your help

Hi,

ROOT 6.20/00 dates back February 2020: have you tried building the latest 6.32.02?

Cheers,
Danilo

Thank you Danilo for your response.

I really need the 6.20/00 that is required by a software Im using. But I have tried also the 6.28/00 and I had the same issue. I would also mention that in the build step I have some warnings like that :

-- Could NOT find Python3 (missing: Python3_INCLUDE_DIRS Python3_LIBRARIES Python3_NumPy_INCLUDE_DIRS Development NumPy Development.Module Development.Embed) (found version "3.11.9")
-- Could NOT find Python2 (missing: Python2_EXECUTABLE Python2_NumPy_INCLUDE_DIRS Interpreter NumPy) (found version "2.7.18")
    Reason given by package:
        Interpreter: Cannot use the interpreter "/bin/python2"

CMake Warning at cmake/modules/SearchRootCoreDeps.cmake:223 (message):
  No supported Python 2 or 3 development packages were found; PyROOT will not
  be built.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:164 (include)

I have python 2 and 3 installed, I exported their paths but the warning is persisting !

Hi,

Thanks for the additional context. For Python, have you had a look to the instructions here Building ROOT from source - ROOT ?

Cheers,
D

Note that the PyROOT build instructions were updated recently and now only apply to 6.32.

But as you can see in that commit, even the previous instructions also didn’t really over ROOT 6.20.00 explicitly, because it’s also quite old.

But it looks like you’re missing the Python development headers and libraries. Are they installed on your system?

For your 6.20 problems: did you try building with builtin_afterimage=ON passed in the configuration step?

Thank you !

Yes I have checked the instructions, I actually installed all the root dependencies and requirements.

Thank you Jonas !

For Python, I have Python2.7 and Python 3.9 installed in my system. I noticed that in the configuration step, root is looking for Python 3.11.9 that I dont have !

I will try to configure it with

builtin_afterimage=ON

and I keep in touch.

Thank you !