Issue building root on Mac OS 10.5.8

Hello,

I’m trying to build root from source on my mac since the binaries found on the website are too recent for my OS (10.5.8),
but I’m having some issues apparently related to X11. I don’t really understand where does this come from since X11 is correctly installed on my computer.
I’m using version root_v5.32.00.source .

Here are the last lines of the compilation, where the error occurs (I used ./configure macosx --prefix=):

g++ -dynamiclib -single_module -Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs -install_name /EPFL//lib/root/libGLEW.so -O2 -m32 -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -o lib/libGLEW.so graf3d/glew/src/glew.o -ldl -L/usr/X11/lib -Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices -lfreetype -lz -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext -lX11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGLU -lGL -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lm -Llib -lCore -lCint
ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib
ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit statuscollect2:
ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lib/libGLEW.so] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
make: *** [lib/libFTGL.so] Error 1

Thanks for your help, I am not really used to work with the shell so maybe the solution is really easy!

Hi,

this has been fixed in the v5-32-00-patches branch and in the trunk. If you want to fix your local source apply this simple patch:

root.cern.ch/viewvc/trunk/config … 0&r2=43310

Cheers, Fons.

Hello,

I am having problems with root when I try to compile v5.32.01 with Mac OS X 10.5.8.
I obtained the same error of this post so I have followed these instruccions but I have get a new error:
Undefined symbols:
glTexSubImage2D", referenced from:
FTTextureGlyph::FTTextureGlyph(FT_GlyphSlotRec
, int, int, int, int, int)in FTTextureGlyph.o
"glPopClientAttrib", referenced from:
FTGLBitmapFont::PostRender() in FTGLBitmapFont.o
FTGLPixmapFont::PostRender() in FTGLPixmapFont.o
, int, int, int, int, int)in FTTextureGlyph.o
”_glGenTextures", referenced from:
FTGLTextureFont::MakeGlyph(unsigned int)in FTGLTextureFont.o
FTGLTextureFont::MakeGlyph(unsigned int)in FTGLTextureFont.o

Could you help me? Thank you very much
Regina

Please try:

./configure --enable-builtin-ftgl

Cheers, Fons.

Hi Fons,

I have tried: ./configure macosx --enable-builtin-ftgl

but the result has been the same:
ndefined symbols:
*, int, int, int, int, int)in FTTextureGlyph.o
”_glPopClientAttrib", referenced from:
FTGLBitmapFont::PostRender() in FTGLBitmapFont.o
FTGLPixmapFont::PostRender() in FTGLPixmapFont.o
(…)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Should I try the latest subversion of root (v5.32.2)?
Cheers, regina

Please try the trunk.

Cheers, Fons.

Hi Fons,

The error is still here. I have downloaded the trunk version, I have used ./configure macosx --enable-builtin-ftgl and the error is the same:

Undefined symbols:
*, int, int, int, int, int)in FTTextureGlyph.o
”_glPopClientAttrib", referenced from:

Thank you very much for your help

Cheers,
Regina

With the trunk version can you try:

./configure --enable-builtin-ftgl --disable-fink

Cheers, Fons.

Hi Fons,

This option crashes too with the same error:
undefined symbols:
"_glTexSubImage2D", referenced from:
(…)

Do you know if the person who put the first post has solved his problem?

Thanks,
Regina

Hi,

try the following, in ./configure comment out the following lines and run ./configure again:

if test ! "x$macosx105" = "x" && test "x$macosx106" = "x" ; then
    # Mac OS X 10.5 problem
    opengllib="-dylib_file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib:/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib"
fi

Let me know if that works for you.

Cheers, Fons.

Hi Fons,

This is the error now:

g++ -dynamiclib -single_module -Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs -install_name @rpath/libFTGL.so -O2 -m32 -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -o lib/libFTGL.so graf3d/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTCharmap.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTContour.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTExtrdGlyph.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTFace.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTFont.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTGLBitmapFont.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTGLExtrdFont.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTGLOutlineFont.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTGLPixmapFont.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTGLPolygonFont.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTGLTextureFont.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTGlyph.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTGlyphContainer.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTLibrary.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTOutlineGlyph.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTPixmapGlyph.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTPoint.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTPolyGlyph.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTSize.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTTextureGlyph.o graf3d/ftgl/src/FTVectoriser.o -ldl -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-framework,CoreServices,-framework,ApplicationServices -lfreetype -lz -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext -lX11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGLU -lGL -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lm -Llib -lCore -lCint
ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Thank you very much for your help.
Regina

Hi Regina,

ok, so you need the 3 lines you did comment out, so put them back. Next check if you have the latest Xcode installed for you 10.5.8 machine. What does gcc -v say? Try installing Xquartz as alternative X11/OpenGL environment. See xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/Releases and install version 2.6.2.

Cheers, Fons.

Hi Fons,

I have tried to install Xquartz but it’s only available for OS-X 10.6.3 or later and I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a).
The newer and older Xquartz versions are only for 10.6.X so they don’t work in my computer. I updated my X11 and I’m using the X11 2.6.3 but the error is the same.
This is the information that I have obtained with gcc -v :
sing built-in specs.
Target: i686-apple-darwin9
Configured with: /var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5465~16/src/configure --disable-checking -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/ --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --with-slibdir=/usr/lib --build=i686-apple-darwin9 --with-arch=apple --with-tune=generic --host=i686-apple-darwin9 --target=i686-apple-darwin9
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)

Thank you,
regina

Did you un-comment 3 lines in configure script as Fons suggested?

Aaahhhhh, finally I could reproduce and fix it on a 10.5 system. Please do:

cd root
svn up [ fix is in configure script ]
./configure
make

and all should be well. Sorry for taking so long.

Cheers, Fons.

Hi Fons,

Thank you very much for your help! Now I can compile the latest root version.

Nevertheless I have seen that my programs that ran fine in 5.30 don’t work now:
Error: no such template @@ ex autload entry remove by typedef declaration @@map<string,int>
Should I put other ticket for this problem?
Thank you again!
Regina

Hi,

If you have a #pragma link statement for map<string,int> in your Linkdef.h file (or a selection rule in your genreflex selection XML file) then please remove it, rebuild your software and try again. The dictionary for that class is already provided by CINT and must not be duplicated.

If your program still fails afterwards then please open a Savannah ticket and tell us how we can reproduce the problem. If that’s too difficult I will need to debug your program.

Cheers, Axel.

Hi Alex and Font,

Now my root works fine!! :slight_smile:
Thank you very much!

regina