Is there a binary version of ROOT for macOS Catalina 10.5.2 I could download and use out of the box?

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: Not Provided
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

I have downloaded root_v6.18.04.macosx64-10.14-clang100.tar.gz and it doesn’t work with Catalina.
I guess I’d need a version …macosx64-10.15-clang… but I couldn’t find it. Is it coming soon? Thanks,
Elemer

Dear Element,

Good to hear from you again!

Does Problems after moving to Catalina help?

Cheers, Axel.

Dear Axel,
do you mean root_v6.18.99.macosx64-10.15-clang110.pkg ?
I have downloaded but I need instructions how to install and use it.
This is not the usual tar file you used to distribute, like e.g. root_v6.08.00.macosx64-10.12.tar.gz which I know how to install and use. Thanks for telling me what should I do after having downloaded root_v6.18.99.macosx64-10.15-clang110.pkg.
Thanks,
Elemer

Dear Axel,

do you mean root_v6.18.99.macosx64-10.15-clang110.pkg ?

I have downloaded but I need instructions how to install and use it.

This is not the usual tar file you used to distribute, like e.g. root_v6.08.00.macosx64-10.12.tar.gz which I know how to install and use.
Thanks for telling me what should I do after having downloaded root_v6.18.99.macosx64-10.15-clang110.pkg.

Thanks,

Elemer

Hi Elemer,

You simply double-click it, it’s an installer that will put ROOT into /Applications/ROOT/. Everything else is the same.

Let me know if you encounter problems!

Axel

Hi Axel,
here is what I did:
i) I have downloaded root_v6.18.99.macosx64-10.15-clang110.pkg.
ii) in the Download directory I double click on it, and got the answer in a small window:
“root_v6.18.99.macosx64-10.15-clang110-1.pkg” cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.
Firefox downloaded this file today at 1:45 PM from root-forum.cern.ch.
There is only one button to click on it which is OK.
When I click on it, nothing happens.
So I don’t know how to do the installation.
Thanks,
Elemer

BTW, in the Applications window I have no icon for a ROOT directory.
Elemer

Hi Axel,
I succeeded to install ROOT (allowing the installation in the Security and Privacy directory).
Then I have put in my .login file the required line: source /Applications/root_v6.18.99/bin/thisroot.sh
Unfortunately when running root on a testfile in /Users/elemernagy/Downloads/test.root with
root -l test.root
I ran into the following error:
elemers-macbook-air:Downloads elemernagy$ root -l test.root
ERROR in cling::CIFactory::createCI(): cannot extract standard library include paths!
Invoking:
LC_ALL=C /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/c++ -O2 -DNDEBUG -xc++ -E -v /dev/null 2>&1 >/dev/null | awk ‘/^#include </,/^End of search/{if (!/^#include </ && !/^End of search/){ print }}’ | GREP_OPTIONS= grep -E “(c|g)++”
Results was:
With exit code 256
warning: no such sysroot directory: ‘/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk’
input_line_1:1:10: fatal error: ‘new’ file not found
#include
^~~~~
input_line_3:37:10: fatal error: ‘string’ file not found
#include
^~~~~~~~
input_line_7:1:10: fatal error: ‘iostream’ file not found
#include
^~~~~~~~~~
root [0]
Attaching file test.root as _file0…
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol ‘_ZN5cling7runtime6gClingE’ unresolved while linking function ‘_GLOBAL__sub_I_cling_module_6’!
You are probably missing the definition of cling::runtime::gCling
Maybe you need to load the corresponding shared library?

*** Break *** segmentation violation
So maybe the installation would require something more?
Thanks,
Elemer

Hi Axel,
as you can see in the ROOT Forum after having installed the .pkg when running root I got an error.

Could you please tell me how to remedy this error or just tell me is the ROOT team working on a

binary which we could install and run with Catalina 10.5 ?

Thanks,

Elemer

Hi Elemer,

Looks like you need to (re-?) run xcode-select --install?

Cheers, Axel.

Hi Axel,
I have installed Xcode Version 11.3.1 (11C504) but root still doesn’t work:
elemers-macbook-air:~ elemernagy$ root
ERROR in cling::CIFactory::createCI(): cannot extract standard library include paths!
Invoking:
LC_ALL=C /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/c++ -O2 -DNDEBUG -xc++ -E -v /dev/null 2>&1 >/dev/null | awk ‘/^#include </,/^End of search/{if (!/^#include </ && !/^End of search/){ print }}’ | GREP_OPTIONS= grep -E “(c|g)++”
Results was:
With exit code 256
warning: no such sysroot directory: ‘/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk’
input_line_1:1:10: fatal error: ‘new’ file not found
#include
^~~~~
input_line_3:37:10: fatal error: ‘string’ file not found
#include
^~~~~~~~

| Welcome to ROOT 6.18/05 https://root.cern |
| (c) 1995-2019, The ROOT Team |
| Built for macosx64 on Jan 10 2020, 02:36:00 |
| From remotes/origin/v6-18-00-patches@v6-18-04-57-g4c9726830f |

Try ‘.help’, ‘.demo’, ‘.license’, ‘.credits’, ‘.quit’/‘.q’

input_line_7:1:10: fatal error: ‘iostream’ file not found
#include
^~~~~~~~~~
root [0]
Should I install it again?
Thanks,
Elemer

Hi Axel,
after having downloaded Xcode from the Launchpad and installed the command line developer tool xcode-select --install was no more needed since it was installed already.
With all these now ROOT works fine.
Many thanks for your precious help!
Elemer

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.