Internal compiler Error

Hello,

I hope this message is posted in the right place.

I’m running ROOT v 3.10/02 on a RH9 linux machine. The g++ version is 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)

I’m trying to compile a C++ file of subroutines I have written (see attached), via .L mymacros.C+. It is really strange because after adding a few legal lines to one subroutine void binsumd0() { } it gives me the following error message:

In file included from /data0/asgeirss/babar-data/fileYcYcRG.h:29,
from /data0/asgeirss/babar-data/fileYcYcRG.cxx:13:
/data0/asgeirss/babar-data/mymacros.C: In function `void binsumd0()’:
/data0/asgeirss/babar-data/mymacros.C:451: Internal compiler error in
find_reloads_toplev, at reload.c:4439
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/ for instructions.
g++: /data0/asgeirss/babar-data/./fileYcYcRG.o: No such file or directory
Error in : Compilation failed!

The line number is the closing bracket of the subroutine scope.

So does this mean that g++ is crashing? Can anyone tell me what to do about this error?

• David Asgeirsson
  • Dept. Physics & Astronomy
  • University of British Columbia
    mymacros.C (56.1 KB)

Hi David,
yes, this is an internal compiler error (ICE), and has nothing to do with root.

Generic instructions for how to deal with ICEs: go to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/, just as the error message says. Enter “find_reloads_toplev reload.c 4439” as search term (the colon kills the search interface - that’s a bug, too :-). You should find the submitted bug report (121079 in your case), and you might find a work-around (read all the postings, you might get a hint what caused the ICE, which tells you how to circumvent it). If there is no bug report (which is very unlikely) you’ll have to submit one (that’s the price you have to pay for using gcc :-). See the bugzilla web page for step-by-step instruction on how to do that.

In your case the “conversation” on that bug report tells me that you’ll have to update GCC, or re-write the bit of code that makes gcc crash.

Cheers, Axel.

Hello.
Can you minimize your code? It’s too big to look through :slight_smile: