Installing xrootd

I want to connect to files stored at CERN from my personal laptop. To that end, I’ve been trying to follow these outdated-looking instructions to setup xrootd to work with my root installation to no avail. If I do root-config --has-xrootd, I get no back. If I follow the instructions linked above, the make fails. If I do the modern cmake, the build completes, but I still have no xrootd.

If I do root -l "root://eoslhcb.cern.ch/<path/to/file/>DVnTuples.root", I get:

Error in <TMacOSXSystem::FindDynamicLibrary>: Netx[.so | .dll | .dylib | .sl | .dl | .a] does not exist in /Applications/root_build/lib:/Applications/root_build/lib:/Applications/root_build/lib::.:/Applications/root_build/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/lib:/lib:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/usr/local/lib64:/usr/lib64:/lib64:
root [0] 
Attaching file root://eoslhcb.cern.ch/<path/to/file/>DVnTuples.root as _file0...
Error in <TMacOSXSystem::FindDynamicLibrary>: Netx[.so | .dll | .dylib | .sl | .dl | .a] does not exist in /Applications/root_build/lib:/Applications/root_build/lib:/Applications/root_build/lib::.:/Applications/root_build/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/lib:/lib:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/usr/local/lib64:/usr/lib64:/lib64:
(TFile *) nullptr

I am not sure what the problem is.

Where did you get ROOT from? If you build it yourself you can configure it to build xrootd as part of the ROOT build and you should get all you need!

I cloned the git repo. cmake, make. How do I configure it to include xrootd?

Adding the cmake flag -Dbuiltin_xrootd=On should do! I.e. for an existing build you could do

cmake -Dbuiltin_xrootd=On .

Thank you–that worked. If anyone who can happens to see, I recommend updating the explicit documentation on this.

Now I just have the problem

Attaching file root://eoslhcb.cern.ch/<path/to/file/>DVnTuples.root as _file0...
Error in <TNetXNGFile::Open>: [FATAL] Socket error: No route to host
(TFile *) nullptr

Dear mwilkins,

I have updated the documentation, hope it is clearer now.

Could you please let me know what exactly you meant by

Which make failed?

G Ganis

Thank you much for updating the documentation. The make failed when doing the ./config then make approach that was outlined in the old documentation. If you’d like, I can try to reproduce the problem, but since things seem to be working now, I’d rather not risk mucking anything up.

Solution to “No route to host”:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.