Installing software from root5 to root6

Dear ROOT experts,

I have been asked to install a software for data reconstruction on root 6.10 systems. This software is basically a set of ROOT libraries which can be installed in root 5 versions (tested personally with root 5.34).

Trying to install with ROOT6 I get a lot of errors, some due to more stringent c++ checks, others due to libraries. For example, it looks for G__ci.h, which If I have understood correctly refers to CINT compiler, which has been replaced by CLING.

I could not find a tutorial about converting code from root5 to root6. Is it difficult? Can it be done without changing too much the source libraries?
I would really appreciate some help on this issue, sorry for the trouble.

Best regards,
Antonio

Hi Antonio,

could you make a list of well defined items which you are encountering issues with? Once a clear description is provided, we can provide support to solve them one by one.

Cheers,
Danilo

Dear Danilo,

I sincerely do not know what are the well defined items, but I can try to make a clear list the main errors:

#include “G__ci.h” LEADS TO File or directory not found:

many istances of invalid use of incomplete type ‘class TBuffer’ LEADS TO forward declaration of class TBuffer in ROOT/include/Rtypes.h:

using::asin LEADS TO ::asin has not been declared (likely atan, atan2, etc.)

constexpr typename __gnu_cxx::__enable_if<__is_integer<_Tp>::__value __is_integer was not declared in this scope LEADS TO suggested alternative struct __is_integer in /usr/include/c++/6/bits/cpp_type_traits.h.

These are the main errors.

Thank you very much for your help,
Antonio

ok,

so, let’s tackle your items in order.
What is the file “G__ci.h” file?

Cheers,
D

It’s clear what “G__ci.h” is, but it’s completely unclear why YOU include it.

#include <cmath>
using std::asin;
using std::atan;
using std::atan2;

No idea where “__gnu_cxx” comes from (I assume it’s a result of the mess related to including “G__ci.h”).

I think you need to show your whole source code so that one can inspect it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.