Installing root_v5.16 : GL/gl.h : no such a file or director

Hello,
I’m trying to install root_v5.16 on ubuntu 7.04.
I downloaded the tar.gz, untared, set env variables properly, configured, added libX11-dev and libXpm-dev, and finally started to make.

Building stopped in this way:

g++ -O2 -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -pthread -Ifreetype/src/freetype-2.1.9/include -DUSEPCH -include precompile.h -o ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.o -c ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx
In file included from include/FTBitmapGlyph.h:9,
from ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:3:
include/FTGL.h:44:31: error: GL/gl.h: Nessun file o directory
include/FTGL.h:45:32: error: GL/glu.h: Nessun file o directory
ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx: In member function ‘virtual const FTPoint& FTBitmapGlyph::Render(const FTPoint&)’:
ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:54: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:54: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:54: error: expected primary-expression before ‘const’
ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:54: error: expected )' before ‘const’ ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:58: error: ‘GL_UNPACK_ROW_LENGTH’ was not declared in this scope ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:58: error: ‘glPixelStorei’ was not declared in this scope ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:59: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:59: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:59: error: expected primary-expression before ‘const’ ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:59: error: expected)’ before ‘const’
ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:62: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:62: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:62: error: expected primary-expression before ‘const’
ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cxx:62: error: expected `)’ before ‘const’
make: *** [ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyph.o] Error 1
rm utils/src/rootcint_tmp.cxx utils/src/RStl_tmp.cxx

I add here the info for the compiler:

g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: …/src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)

I’ve searched a bit but I found no info for this problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Marco

Hi again,
digging into posts I found the solution: a package was missing.

sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev

I can add, for future reference, that you also need:

sudo apt-get install libxext-dev

sudo apt-get install libxft-dev

Sorry for the noise!

Regards,
Marco

Good that you found it. I was struggling as well.

@dev: Shouldn’t that be checked by the configure script

Manuel