Installing Root on Windows 10 with Cygwin

I am attempting to install root on my windows 10 laptop. Unfortunately the laptop does not support virtual machines so I will have to use cygwin. I found this guide on how to install root with cygwin.

(cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/~rouby/root/)

However, I think the page may be out of date. For example, a lot of the cygwin packages mentioned on the page do not exist by that name anymore.

Can any provide me with more up to date instructions?

Hi,

First of all, why do you want to install the (unsupported) Cygwin version of ROOT? Can’t you work with the native version of ROOT on Windows?

Cheers, Bertrand.

[quote=“bellenot”]Hi,

First of all, why do you want to install the (unsupported) Cygwin version of ROOT? Can’t you work with the native version of ROOT on Windows?

Cheers, Bertrand.[/quote]

Hi, Bertrand.

I am trying to setup a linux environment on windows to work with root. This is for an REU student for the summer. It does not need to be a permanent setup. And I am unfamiliar with/don’t like visual c++. All she has on her computer is windows 10 and the computer is too slow to run a virtual machine.

Ok, I see. So I would say install Cygwin with X, development packages (gcc/g++,make,…) and then add the missing packages as they are needed (sorry, but I can’t really help more…)
And be warned that it may not work. As I said, Cygwin is not an officially supported platform.

Cheers, Bertrand.